Green green everywhere

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not green water!

I havnt had a problem with green water this year (only string algae way back when) probably due to vigorously overgrown bog that I have. I couldnt see a lot of my other plants anymore... the dollarweed (pennywort?) are taking over!

I do not want this many of them next year as I really do want more flowers. My question is, how winter hardy these pennywort are! I'll try to yank them out as much as possible but they are quite persistent and ran through other plant roots and it's hard to actually take them all out.

I'll move them to the part where they cant really take over like this :)

Any tips of getting rid of them?

IMG_6578.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I've had bog plants take over like that, I've realized that it was because I underestimated their "invasive" properties. So now, I either eliminate that plant all together, or try to stay on top of it from the start. It's amazing how quickly they can go from nothing to totally out of control.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I've had bog plants take over like that, I've realized that it was because I underestimated their "invasive" properties. So now, I either eliminate that plant all together, or try to stay on top of it from the start. It's amazing how quickly they can go from nothing to totally out of control.

Yes they are invasive. I didnt know how invasive they are until a few months ago! Last year it wasnt this bad. this year it was just boom and took over. I dont mind invasive bush like mint and lizardtail, but this pennywort is hard to take out!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you wanting to totally eliminate it or just control it? Is it hard to pull up or have quirky roots? Wonder if putting a cut-off flower pot over it would contain it (like, cut the bottom off a pot and use it like a cage)? Guessing that would depend on length of the roots......but you'd still have to catch it before it over ran the sides of the pot. Hmmm, I might have to try that with some aquatic forget me nots. I love the little plant, but it crawls in among other stems which makes it harder to pull out for thinning.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found this.....no idea how helpful these treatments are.

GETTING RID OF DOLLAR WEED NATURALLY.....
Since this weed thrives in overly moist areas, the best way to treat dollar weed is by reducing moisture in the affected area with proper mowing and irrigation. You should also improve any drainage issues that may be present. In addition, dollar weed can be easily pulled up by hand, though this can be tedious and in larger areas, it may not be feasible. Organic control involves methods that may work for some while not others, but it’s always worth a try to see if one will work for you before resorting to chemicals. These methods include the following:
Boiling water – Pouring boiling water on areas with dollar weed will quickly kill the plants. However, care should be taken not to get any on other nearby plants or grass, as boiling water will kill anything it comes into contact with.
Baking soda – Some people have had luck with using baking soda for killing dollar weeds. Simply wet down the dollar weed foliage and sprinkle baking soda over it, leaving it overnight. This is supposed to kill the weeds but be safe for the grass. Sugar – Others have found success with dissolving white sugar over the weed. Spread the sugar over the area and water it in thoroughly.
Vinegar – Spot treating dollar weed with white vinegar has also been deemed effective as a dollar weed herbicide.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Eliminate Dollar Weed – How To Kill Dollar Weed http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/eliminate-dollar-weed.htm

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for the info- Ive got that stuff all over my yard. It escaped from the bog and some went into compost pile so now its in my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont know if i can kill them with stuff other than pulling them out as they are entwine with other plants. It's send shoots through other clump of grasses/rushes everwhere. It's pertty easy to pull since the roots stay shallow enough but it breaks off easily and every break creates new plant ;)
I think i'll have to get rid of it. I know how good it is as herb (help with memory, brain, and all that.. it's a very good herb) but I'll have to keep it contain so my other plants in my bog gets a chance of life ;)

I think i'll try to yank them as much as i can then wait and tank them again then may be spot kill?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pennywort is super invasive here. I can't completely get rid of it and when I do pull it, I have to be super gentle and dig for the thread. Some places they don't grow so crazy, like at Addy's I don't think she has a huge problem with it.
I just yank it by the handful and then let it grow back in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pennywort is super invasive here. I can't completely get rid of it and when I do pull it, I have to be super gentle and dig for the thread. Some places they don't grow so crazy, like at Addy's I don't think she has a huge problem with it.
I just yank it by the handful and then let it grow back in.
Welcome back T!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey T! It's been a while!

I cant wait to go yank them out. I think i'll have to have a whole day to do it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Nepen. If they are in your bog get your fingers in the gravel and find the common thread and gently tug at it. That is the only way you can eradicate it all. At least that's the only way I know how to do it. It has been a little bit. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some penny wart, yanked out a bit to send to someone that wanted it and the rest disappeared. No problem with it in my yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I yanked them before and they took a clump of sweet flag up with them since their roots went though other plants roots balls, it's hard to actually target only them.

Ask a Question