Green house around pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was looking and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a portable green house or garage around their pond for the winter time. I was looking at it for next year. And if so, what did you have to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is an interesting idea. I've often imagined having a Winter-only greenhouse for tender garden plants. For me, it wouldn't have to be a heated greenhouse, just a room-sized coldframe. But heating could certainly be installed too, for colder climates.

First, it is a design and construction project to make a pond/garden and greenhouse that fit together properly. After that it is a big installation project twice a year, to put it up and take it down. Consider where it will be stored in the warm season.

Many people with greenhouses do something similar, but easier. They keep the frame of a greenhouse year-round, but remove the roof and/or other panels in Summer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. I would not heat it but heck it would be like 20-30 degrees warmer than outside cause the sun would warm it up a little and I wouldn’t have to worry about the leaves and that it I put it up right before fall. And I could still kinda enjoy it in the winter. I got the Indra with someone that actually keeps there goldfish in a green house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a greenhouse over our pond in winter. There is no heat, but the water never freezes and we run the pump and filtration year round. The water stays warm enough that the fish always come up for food, so they get fed. I think there was one day this past winter when they didn't come up, so no food.

We used to take all the framing down in the spring, but since we are older now, most of the frame stays up all the time. We take off the ends and some of the cross members on the sides, but the trusses and their support legs stay up all the time now.

We've been doing it this way for several years now and it works well for us and the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What ever you build its going to have to be strong with the snow you get up there.

i will probably start building tee pees over my tropicals many will survive as long as they are not frozen in a block of ice and wrapping plastic around then should do the trick if they are very fragile a little hay over them before the teepee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, the frame has to be strong enough to support the snow load and the design should be such that most of the snow slides off.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I was looking and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a portable green house or garage around their pond for the winter time. I was looking at it for next year. And if so, what did you have to do?
Well you really made me think on this one. I really like the idea alot for 1 I have a heated pond so a green house around it would help with alot of moisture in the air so it would make a very tropical environment I would have to do plenty of research. I definitely like your idea and yes it would be alot warmer during the winter I say it never hurts to try.

Ask a Question