Green water

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a 5000 gallon pond that is still green. The pond did not clear up all summer but it is in the direct sunlight. I felt sure that once the temps dropped, it would clear because it always has. I live in SC and its gotten in the 30's here this week. The days are still in the 50-60s but my water does not appear to be clearing much. I don't have much plant coverage because the koi eat most of the plants. I have a 10,000 gph pump so the pond turns over about 2 times per hour.

I have a pond so I can see the fish and right now, I am ready to fill it in. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
The green is floating algae. It is too small to be filtered out using what i guess i will call "normal" mechanical filtration. A UV light will kill the algae and then apparently it clumps together and can be filtered out.

Reaction score
UV filters are 100% effect in clearing green water. It's the only thing I know of other than chemicals, none of which are good for fish.

The sunlight light, temp, etc., are sort of myths. Some species of algae do die in cold water, some do better. Estimated at about 200,000 to 800,000 different species. So very adapted to many environments.

Reduced sunlight does reduce the rate at which algae can reproduce and also how dense the algae can be. However, that's nothing close to a clear pond. Even total shade can still produce enough algae that pond is green. So maybe dark green instead of forest green.

Clumping of algae, called colonies, happens from normal sun UV. They clump to protect themselves. With UV filters they're just killed and that's that. The dead cells quickly, with a few days, decompose into very tiny bits. They're in the 5-100 micron range when alive, much small when dead. Very few filters can remove these and normally they just decompose. Fabric filters and sand filters can sometimes remove colonies, but not cells.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
quilt batting in a basket with the flow of water going into it picks up all the fine stuff also ,but needs cleaned often at first .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the same problem with my koi eating the plants but have learned from colleen that grasses work great and made floating rings but had to use pool noodles so the

koi can not just flip the over and so far so good ,even the frogs like to get up on them and sun bathe

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
How did you attach the ends of the noodles together? Would black foam pipe insulation work? It would probably be cheaper. What did you use for the bottom?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just pulled a rope through the middle and the bottom is just plane old plastic window screen and used the cheap roll of covered wire stuff I got at the dollar store .You could use it and just put the pipe protector over any thing you can connect together .Like old pond hose with a coupling inserted in it .I used the coupling to link one of the pool noodles together and the others are with rope .Just as long as it floats it is good .If it is the thin black hose it will float too but my fish just jump against those and flip them over and out comes the plants .My koi are around 2 feet long and the only thing they don't touch are the grasses ,not sure why .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You could also use Id Tubing for a float ring, Example: 1/2 Id Tubing, cut a 1'' slit into one end and pinch that end to slide inside the other and use a lighter to heat shrink it tight together or use Marine sealant!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You could also use Id Tubing for a float ring, Example: 1/2 Id Tubing, cut a 1'' slit into one end and pinch that end to slide inside the other and use a lighter to heat shrink it tight together or use Marine sealant!
FYI, the ID refers to 'inside diameter', and identifies the tubing's size. What you are referring to is vinyl or plastic tubing, such as that commonly used for aquarium air pumps.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How did you attach the ends of the noodles together? Would black foam pipe insulation work? It would probably be cheaper. What did you use for the bottom?

Wouldnt use that you dont know what its made out of plus theres that awful black stuff in the middle of them that colours you fingers
rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
FYI, the ID refers to 'inside diameter', and identifies the tubing's size. What you are referring to is vinyl or plastic tubing, such as that commonly used for aquarium air pumps.
John
HA! Thanks :redface: Thats funny, makes since now lol And small ponds like mine ;) I don't have a big enough Pond to run PVC

Reaction score
Hi Annie, I'm having the same problem, My water is fine but i just cant get it to clear up. I have added plants, My Pond is 4,200 gal, I have a 1.5hp moter and it's still green. I builed my own Bio filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why so many of us use quilt batting to pick up all the fine algae cells .It needs cleaned often and i even clean and then soak the quilt batting in peroxide and water while I put a clean piece in .

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks for all of the replies. I have tested my water and all of my levels are great but it is still green. I did some internet research that suggested increasing the aeration to the pond. Does anyone have experience with that? I cannot afford a UV system at this time. I considered covering a portion of the pond with a tarp to block out the sun for a few days. One site also suggested adding hydrogen peroxide to the water as that is the end result of adding barley but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Covering the pond ith a tarp may cause bacteria to grow /I use quilt batting in a basket in my filters with the hose going in it to catch all the fine algae cells and hose the quilt batting off every day and soak in a peroxide and put in the sun to dry while putting a fresh piece in a keep doing it until pond is clean then as regular upkeep I keep a piece in the filter basket .It does take work and lots of it but if you keep it up it will work .

It needs to be watched so it does not clog up and overflow the filter and after I get all the fine stuff out basket stays in with regular filter on top to pick up the heavy stuff and quilt batting under for the fine stuff .Plus found plants in the filters really help

Ask a Question