Green water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I had green water. Then I went out yesterday and took a sample and it was crystal clear. We have algae on a lot of the rocks and I guess this is what is making the water look green. Am I just going to have to live with a green tent to the water or is there something I can do.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Peach fuzz/biofilm on the rocks is beneficial and normal in a pond. Long hair algae is not, if it’s the latter, Plants plants and more plants, not all plants are created equal in consuming nutrients from the pond water ones that grow quickly and can be pulled back ( nutrient removal) easily are the best. Can add a bog filter, as well to eliminate hair algae.
I have an immense fish population and turtles in my ponds, and have zero algae issues, because the pond has bogs on it and is heavily planted in the pond proper.

How old is your pond, algae growth, is somewhat normal in new ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a new pond. It's only been up and running for about a two weeks. Thanks for your info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a new pond. It's only been up and running for about a two weeks. Thanks for your info.
ah, a true newbie. You get to find the joy in a first pond--soooo lucky! Once you find equilibrium, you'll truly appreciate and get sucked into ponding even more. jhn has it right; plants and patience. Welcome to GPF!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And you might find that your water gets greener before it gets more clear. As ponds seek a balance some crazy things can happen - just let it be and watch the magic. If you don't overload with fish and have lots of plants your pond will find it's own way to clear!

And yes - if your rocks are covered in green, your water may look green. Or it may get stained from tannins from leaves that fall in and look a bit like iced tea. Remember though - it's a pond, not a swimming pool. Healthy fish should be the goal, not "gin clear water".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the good info. I have noticed that the fish are starting to eat the algae and water is staring to look clearer.How long have you had your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
ah, a true newbie. You get to find the joy in a first pond--soooo lucky! Once you find equilibrium, you'll truly appreciate and get sucked into ponding even more. jhn has it right; plants and patience. Welcome to GPF!
Ya I'm a newbie alright. So much to learn. Thanks for all the help.

Ask a Question