Greenish pond - normal cycle for new?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Hi all! Thanks for all your advice... It actually all seems to be clearing up!! It's all clean, my second pond seems to be worse, but I think that's cause I put the water in later and it's been hotter, I'm letting it pass through the stages, plus I have now installed a pump and filter.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any update on your pond Mr-Pond? I also have a pond with no fish and was curious to see how your summer went with the algae issue. I have the same color water and same type of growth. I run a fountain for a few hours right now and am in the process of building a waterfall/bog feature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Any update on your pond Mr-Pond?
Apologies for the delay in replying.

Firstly just an update on layout- So currently I have a waterfall into the first pond, although this isn't really into the water, followed by a gentle stream into the second. Inside the second pond I have a hozelock pump, with filter and fountains.

Okay, so if you pics are like mine then it isn't actually greenish. From seeing our lake at work and working on the pond when they talk about greenish pond it's literally pea soup colour.. You can't see through it.

My water is clear, it's just the build up of algae, dirt, which settles an drys. Could clean that if you want but it's a continuous job and personally I think perfect clean water and a black liner isn't great when you have pots cause you can see them all. I think it makes it look more natural.

The biggest difficulty I've had is with algae. Algae is all to do with coverage in your pond. Lots of lily pads and plants that cover the surface prevents the build up of either O2 or co2. (Can't remember which but it's the point lol) they build a layer and prevent the heat up of he water which speeds up algae growth too. Unfortunately I only managed to get my plants in just at the start of summer when it was hot so lilies hadn't established. I also only had it in one of the ponds whereas I know have intro use into both. I do have to spend bit of time each week cleaning it up and removing the algae which appears in like long sheet strands that appear to keep going. I'm not sure it's the best way as I believe when you break algae it releases more of the cells. However, I think I've noticed it slow down, and once you do it and see how clean he water is it makes things all a bit better.

Il try get some photos tomorrow to show it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lots of lily pads shade the pond but use up lots of oxygen at night

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can but it is best to have an aerator to help cut down on the algae .I have always had an aerator or movement to the top of the water and even with a new pond it has only been green through the cycling stage ,but i also saved and reused as much of my old pond water that i could .Plus had a dog mess up my pond and kill 2 fish .I have been reading lots on aeration because i grew up with a pond but my parents pond was spring fed so that helped .Lots of fresh air in that water .But have used all kinds of methods to add more air to my pond .Second pic is before I put it under my bridge .I have done this type of thing before but with a ball valve .I decided I wanted more

Attachments

• pond 8 09 2914 025.JPG
    pond 8 09 2914 025.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 278
  • pond 2014 006.JPG
    pond 2014 006.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 254
  • pond 5-21-2014 009.JPG
    pond 5-21-2014 009.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 252

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It does shade the pond but if it uses up the oxygen it can starve the fish of much needed oxygen also .I have very few plants in my pond because of the koi, they destroy them .Most of my plants are in the filters or waterfall .I have a 12 outlet aerator that has hoses to the filters besides the lotus pond .Lotus pond 12 inch's down and you can see the pot and it has no filter just a air line.When this pic was taken I had disturbed the kitty litter putting in fertilizer spikes

Attachments

• pond sept 2014 013.JPG
    pond sept 2014 013.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 270

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what would happen then But I do know my lotus pond has done better adding oxygen hose to it .Before that it was thick with algae and really green .I first built it I did not put an oxygen hose in it .I had to buy more hose and every time I went to the store there was none the size I needed .I know there are frogs living in the lotus ,lily pond

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was told aerators will actually increase algae as it brings oxygen into the mix, same thing with my fountain. I am under the impression that once I get some bottom plants in and other plants it will clear on its own. And yes, I am also fishless. I'd love to see some pictures and thank you for the update as my pond looks very similar as far as the algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Water movement and oxygen keep algae from getting a chance to grow .Grasses really help to clean your pond also .But when you have to fertilize plants then algae gets fertilized also .

Reaction score
I put an air stone in my water fall box/bio filter today because I've read the good bacteria needs a good oxygen source. I also put a stone in the bottom of my 3' pond to run at night when the plants use up the O2 so there is plenty to go around for my fish also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never had string algae and only had green water after i rebuilt the pond but that is normal and quilt batting took care of that .But if a pump is in the pond it would do the same thing in bringing the algae to the top .Algae mostly likes sun and extra nutrients from the fish .My lotus lily pond has only the aerator and no filter and it stays clear and the lotus has to be given fertilizer often

Ask a Question