Greenish pond - normal cycle for new?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Hello there!!

Well well.. I wrote a post a few weeks ago in a different feed I'm in.. I actually didn't do much to my pond over Christmas. Everything froze.. The pond lost water many times where I had to keep filling it up - I was worried about a leak but now I believe it was just a blockage.

Anyway I kept going with it, ready for spring summer - waiting for it to get a bit warmer to clean the pond out some of the mess. However I didn't consider one thing.. A slightly warmer day where I came back from work and there's 11 frogs mating and a ton of spawn!! wih my love of wildlife I now decided I can not remove all the algae etc.

The spawn began its journey and I now have so many tadpoles it's unbelievable!! I don't know if its just me but I think they ma be going through the algae anyway! So could be great answer to that problem anyway!!

Just got some plants starting to come through.. Will try to take some photos over the weekend.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello there!!

Well well.. I wrote a post a few weeks ago in a different feed I'm in.. I actually didn't do much to my pond over Christmas. Everything froze.. The pond lost water many times where I had to keep filling it up - I was worried about a leak but now I believe it was just a blockage.

Anyway I kept going with it, ready for spring summer - waiting for it to get a bit warmer to clean the pond out some of the mess. However I didn't consider one thing.. A slightly warmer day where I came back from work and there's 11 frogs mating and a ton of spawn!! wih my love of wildlife I now decided I can not remove all the algae etc.

The spawn began its journey and I now have so many tadpoles it's unbelievable!! I don't know if its just me but I think they ma be going through the algae anyway! So could be great answer to that problem anyway!!

Just got some plants starting to come through.. Will try to take some photos over the weekend.

View attachment 79687 View attachment 79688

Tadpoles are great for cleaning up a pond of algae and detritus. Nature's mini Wet-Vacs.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I saw those pictures on another thread, they are amazing! I actually did a full drain and clean about a month ago, came home from vacation and had a ton of toadpoles as well! I now have a few baby toads swimming around but my water is getting greener. I have to just let it cycle through. I am curious as to how many of your taddies make it! Thanks for the update and the great shots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
I saw those pictures on another thread, they are amazing! I actually did a full drain and clean about a month ago, came home from vacation and had a ton of toadpoles as well! I now have a few baby toads swimming around but my water is getting greener. I have to just let it cycle through. I am curious as to how many of your taddies make it! Thanks for the update and the great shots!
Sadly I don't think many.. At one point we had 20 odd birds so I'm wondering if they have something to do with it or the load of newts we have.

One question I have for everyone..
When it's cold my pond ticks along generally.. Soon as it's warm i seem to lose a lot of water in one day.. I dont believe it's a leak as it doesn't happen when cool.. And surely you don't lose that much just through evaporation do you? Does any one else experience it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How much water are you losing in a day? Your fountain ( and my waterfall ) contribute to evaporation, especially on a windy day. Glad to hear you don't think it's a leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Ah that could explain some stuff.. I actually have a waterfall into pond.. With a small stream into a second pond with a fountain... Which links back to the start.

Sometimes I can lose a good couple of inches.. Or more.. To a level i have to top it up.. Get a lot of algae sometimes to

Ask a Question