Greetings from Cincinnati, Ohio

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've been reading this and another forum over the summer and am enjoying learning new things. My pond is approx. 2000 gallons, straight side drop, has a gravel bottom with no bottom drain and is about 3 feet deep. I run a pressurized filter with UV light, have a skimmer and water fall. I'm learning to test my water.

I have a mix of shubunkin, comet and koi. As my fish reproduced and grew, I've re homed some....and need to do it again. I enjoy water lilies and also have water hyacinth...unless the koi eat them! When we bought this house 9 years ago there was a small pond. We had this one built about 6 years ago.

I'm interesting in winterization ideas, fish food and filtration! Thanks for letting me join:) Kim

Attachments

• IMG_4660.JPG
    IMG_4660.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 233

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep we love learning and trying new things .Nice pond you have but I had a pressurized filter and they seemed to never keep my pond clean .I went from 1 filter to 2 filters and then built bigger filters .When I found this sight I was happy to see other ponders and learn what they know and go through all this sharing with them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So far the pressurized filter has been ok, but it is a lot of work on my part. I clean my pumps, skimmer pads, skimmer and filter ( pads and media) almost twice a week in the summer, in addition to netting out debris. Both of my pumps are submersible, but I've read external pumps may be better. We've landscaped our pond area, so really no where for me to go with bigger filters:( this is one of the reasons I'm rehoming some of my fish.

What kind of bigger filters did you build? Kim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In the spring I feed them wheat germ food with a little organic garlic mixed in so it helps the feed better and helps keep them healthier .I use the wheat germ food for awhile in the fall also minus garlic

Ask a Question