Greetings from Newburgh, NY

Reaction score
Hey guys I've struggled with my pond for a few years and finally decided to join a forum.
Our house came with one of those plastic ponds but had a crack all the way around it. When About 5 years ago I bought a pond kit and pulled out the plastic liner. The pond is about 8x6x2 and I've never had much luck with keeping fish in it. When I first set it up I pit in a water lily and cat tails and after the 3rd yeah the root system took over the bottom of the pool. At that point I had about 8 goldies feeders that grew to about 6-8in and were doing fine. Then one day I come out to feed them and they were all bloated and floating. The following season I started all over this time getting a great deal on Koi at the LFS. These guys did great all season until one day my son called me to the window to see a heron feasting on the last one.
This season they were stocked with goldies again which I just removed for the winter. I forgot to mention this pond is in the middle of my front yard which is why I never went deeper when I redid it.

The plan is next spring to relocate it to the back yard and go bigger. I have an area in the back along the side of my deck that because of my pool is wasted space. I would make a great space for a bigger pond. The power is already there and is right out the back door so can be appreciated more.

I'm planning something deeper to withstand the winters. rough estimates are 10x8x4 if possible. I'm also planning on renting power equipment to do it because of the amount of big rocks buried around the property. I hope to learn a lot from here to help with the build.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HELLO GEAR DOG...well you came to the right place... youve got a few months to read study and ask questions before you move on to bigger and better ponding next year!!! good luck!!! and its time to start shopping now..off season when its cheaper.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome Gear Dog!
We are here to help. Take some time and search the Forum. you will find a lot of knowledge here.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. The pond has gone through many stages in it's current location, but I think it's time to move it to the back yard. I've been looking at the DIY section and thinking about going with the 55gal filter. I had something similar set up this summer in my pond. The difference was I used the top section of this cascading pond from HD. It was about 2ft round and I had it spill back into the pond. That was filled with scrub pads and I would drop an old poly pillow in to polish the water. This worked great but my problem was the sun. The pond had full exposure all day and the string algae was a big issue. After poking around here I know know to plant for shade as well as protection for predators.

Ask a Question