Guess who is out having fun? (It's ME!) Planning wildlife pond for backyard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And a little more exercise to boot. I think I'll be able to toss the dirt from the new intake bay right into the hole for the current one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Tula - so many expenses associated with college, even with excellent scholarships! Luckily the tension is only that -- minor uptight attitudes and some differing philosophies between the Mom and the Dad. To hear Dad tell it, he drove cross country all alone and moved himself into a crappy apartment with nothing but a pillow and a can of beans. He forgets that that experience happened in his 20s and not as a kid barely out of high school. :facepalm: I was a bit more helpful and wanted to provide a few more supplies than that. (A full set of bedding and a can opener for the beans, at the very least! Ha ha!) Hence, some orders from Amazon Prime... Quite a few, as a matter of fact.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, been there done that! FIVE TIMES OVER! My kids all knew if they needed help with the car or had questions about how to fix something, call dad. If they needed stuff - call mom! That new pond will help smooth out ALLLLL the tension!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WAY BACK in my college days, I moved across country with $1000 bucks to start my college days. Worked many jobs, got student loans, refused to ask my parents for funds, but they still had 7 kids at home. I didn't eat beans but did eat junk that would not be stole out of the common fridge, like liver.................have never touched it since.

My mom would pack canned food in my suitcase when I came home to visit...............lol............My dad talked me into taking a basic mechanic car course, ie. how to tune it up (back when you could with feeler gauges) I only had a car after I was run over on my bike. My dad helped me buy my first car.

They always offered to help I always refused.

We need our parents when a struggling college student!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Update -- I'm still out there digging. It has been WAY TOO HOT to work outside much. And since I'm trying to recoup my funds, there hasn't been a rush. I did start the relocation of the intake bay and have that well underway. That job is always a 7 Dwarves sort of thing. Chip, chip, chipping away at the hard dry red clay boulders. It is slow work, but again -- no need to hurry. I figure after another couple of digging sessions, I'll have it ready and will be able to do a final accurate measure of the site/hole to determine how much liner I need to order. So -- there is progress happening - it's just slowwwwwwww.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Update -- I'm still out there digging. It has been WAY TOO HOT to work outside much. And since I'm trying to recoup my funds, there hasn't been a rush. I did start the relocation of the intake bay and have that well underway. That job is always a 7 Dwarves sort of thing. Chip, chip, chipping away at the hard dry red clay boulders. It is slow work, but again -- no need to hurry. I figure after another couple of digging sessions, I'll have it ready and will be able to do a final accurate measure of the site/hole to determine how much liner I need to order. So -- there is progress happening - it's just slowwwwwwww.
Not sure how your clay compares to mine but I found it easier to dig it when it was wet. Heavier yes but I could dig into it actually instead of chipping away like you when it was dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Not sure how your clay compares to mine but I found it easier to dig it when it was wet. Heavier yes but I could dig into it actually instead of chipping away like you when it was dry.
Yes! The areas where it is just clay is WONDERFUL to dig when there is enough moisture. It really is like play dough -- or more accurately, like sculptor's clay, only orange. The problem is that apart from those lovely areas, it's all hardpan layers and clay boulders, which never get soft. But fortunately, at this point, I've only got that in the intake bay area. (And that's where I'm working now.) It's ok, though, I still have to save more money, so I've got plenty of time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here's a little update/anecdote: any time my husband goes outside, I always say "be so careful around the pond hole!" I'm worried he will fall in and break his ankle or something. He gets a little irritated and says "oh my gosh. That hole is gigantic. I know it's there. I won't fall in."
Tonight he went outside to throw some vegetable peelings into the compost. It was dark but he wore his headlamp. Unfortunately, the battery was worn down. When he went outside, I did NOT tell him to be careful.
Guess what?
He heard a critter rustling in the compost and started to make a mad dash back to the house.
Yep.
He fell in the pond hole.
(Thankfully, the only thing he injured was his pride.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy! My husband and I have similar conversations. Like when we're driving:

Me: you know your exit is coming up, right?
Him: Of COURSE I know that!
Me: OK, I don't know why you're all the way in the left lane then, but I'll just sit here quietly and MYOB!

Next trip:
Him: I JUST PASSED MY EXIT! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SOMETHING!

Happens every time! Ah... marriage.

Glad your husband survived his tumble. I guess he can at least be grateful it was still just a hole and not a hole filled with water!

Ask a Question