Guess who is out having fun? (It's ME!) Planning wildlife pond for backyard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now you're talking my language - haha! Or put the price you THOUGHT it would be on the card and pay the rest in cash. Ah marriage... full of mystery!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We refer to it as The Veil of Mystery. Most often used in conversations about "earthy" topics like gas: "Oh my gosh, 20 years ago, you wouldn't have DREAMED of doing that in front of me! I want the Veil of Mystery back!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
When I worked with my liner I unfolded the liner on the flat lawn then refolded it to the center. Once you have it in the center of the pond unroll it to both ends then unfold from the center. Seamed to work well for my pond with strait sides. If you need to try and carry the liner put it on a piece of underlay, you can then grab a handfull of material to drag or carry with lots of help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had one big piece of liner, so our went in from one end and got unrolled to the other. We were lucky that it didn't require a whole lot of shifting once it was in place. We had five people doing the actual lifting and unrolling with me saying "WOW you guys are doing GREAT!" This was after I spent about 5 minutes explaining how you put a pie crust into a pie pan and they all stared at me with blank faces. Then I said "just do whatever you think will work!" Hence the great unrolling.

Whatever works is my motto!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes! Pie crust!!!!!
I've come up with a good idea. Right now I have two enormous pieces of plastic covering the pond excavation, so it doesn't dry out too much between work sessions. Once Georgia red clay dries, it's like concrete. When I'm totally done digging, I can put the plastic in exactly like I would my EPDM. I can tape the two pieces together. When I take it out, I can measure the piece of plastic. That will give me a template and an accurate measurement. I'm always one to overestimate, just in case. But in this situation, I don't want to pay for more product than I need. And I don't want it to be heavier than it needs to be. So we will see what size that turns out to be!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Do not cut the liner in shape untill it has been filled and settle in for a bit. Then leave extra and fold it in around the edge. Caefull of the folding you can leak water if a fold goes sideways and low, mine did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do not cut the liner in shape untill it has been filled and settle in for a bit. Then leave extra and fold it in around the edge. Caefull of the folding you can leak water if a fold goes sideways and low, mine did.
Oh yes, if anything, I'm paranoid about that. When I did the first pond out front, I left a lot of extra! I just folded it over and under and buried it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That's if I go with one single liner. I was dumb in how I arranged my intake bay, bog, and main pond on a diagonal. (Bangs head against a wall repeatedly...) When I'm all done digging, I will measure again and see how it would work if I did the bog liner separate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reminds me of that show "My 600 pound life". I see what it takes to move a person that big!
You need firemen muscle's
1565964852010.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ok folks. Back to the drawing board... or the digging hole. After some serious household tension over money, I almost abandoned the pond idea again. But then I decided - no. I gave Mr. Money the opportunity for me to switch gears a while back and he insisted I go for it. I have, however, been trying to think about ways to make it all more do-able. Especially financially. The size of the liner (required by the orientation of the pond) was going to add so much cost and hassle. Having a ginormous liner meant extra cost up front, extra shipping, lift gate charge, rental of equipment to move, and possibly paying people to help. (Or cost of surgery to repair a hernia.) I stared out the window a long time and decided to move the intake bay from the lower left corner to the lower center. That will allow me to do it with two pieces of liner, which will be much easier to move. I still don't have exact measurements, but I am reasonably sure this will simplify things a bit and will at least save the cost of renting a piece of equipment. Rather than buying a giant, heavy liner 40 x 50 (for example) I'll be able to get a rolled piece that's 25 x 50 and a piece for the bog that's 15 x 20. (Again, I'm just guessing for the sake of explanation.).
This means going out and digging a new intake bay - but that's ok. At this point, with Fall around the corner, I will probably wait till the autumn leaves are are down and cleaned up before continuing work - so there's no hurry. Not to mention I still have to save a good bit of money!

Attachments

• IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 190

Ask a Question