Guess who is out having fun? (It's ME!) Planning wildlife pond for backyard

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WAY BACK in my college days, I moved across country with $1000 bucks to start my college days. Worked many jobs, got student loans, refused to ask my parents for funds, but they still had 7 kids at home. I didn't eat beans but did eat junk that would not be stole out of the common fridge, like liver.................have never touched it since.

My mom would pack canned food in my suitcase when I came home to visit...............lol............My dad talked me into taking a basic mechanic car course, ie. how to tune it up (back when you could with feeler gauges) I only had a car after I was run over on my bike. My dad helped me buy my first car.

They always offered to help I always refused.

We need our parents when a struggling college student!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Update -- I'm still out there digging. It has been WAY TOO HOT to work outside much. And since I'm trying to recoup my funds, there hasn't been a rush. I did start the relocation of the intake bay and have that well underway. That job is always a 7 Dwarves sort of thing. Chip, chip, chipping away at the hard dry red clay boulders. It is slow work, but again -- no need to hurry. I figure after another couple of digging sessions, I'll have it ready and will be able to do a final accurate measure of the site/hole to determine how much liner I need to order. So -- there is progress happening - it's just slowwwwwwww.

Ad

Advertisements

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Update -- I'm still out there digging. It has been WAY TOO HOT to work outside much. And since I'm trying to recoup my funds, there hasn't been a rush. I did start the relocation of the intake bay and have that well underway. That job is always a 7 Dwarves sort of thing. Chip, chip, chipping away at the hard dry red clay boulders. It is slow work, but again -- no need to hurry. I figure after another couple of digging sessions, I'll have it ready and will be able to do a final accurate measure of the site/hole to determine how much liner I need to order. So -- there is progress happening - it's just slowwwwwwww.
Not sure how your clay compares to mine but I found it easier to dig it when it was wet. Heavier yes but I could dig into it actually instead of chipping away like you when it was dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Not sure how your clay compares to mine but I found it easier to dig it when it was wet. Heavier yes but I could dig into it actually instead of chipping away like you when it was dry.
Yes! The areas where it is just clay is WONDERFUL to dig when there is enough moisture. It really is like play dough -- or more accurately, like sculptor's clay, only orange. The problem is that apart from those lovely areas, it's all hardpan layers and clay boulders, which never get soft. But fortunately, at this point, I've only got that in the intake bay area. (And that's where I'm working now.) It's ok, though, I still have to save more money, so I've got plenty of time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here's a little update/anecdote: any time my husband goes outside, I always say "be so careful around the pond hole!" I'm worried he will fall in and break his ankle or something. He gets a little irritated and says "oh my gosh. That hole is gigantic. I know it's there. I won't fall in."
Tonight he went outside to throw some vegetable peelings into the compost. It was dark but he wore his headlamp. Unfortunately, the battery was worn down. When he went outside, I did NOT tell him to be careful.
Guess what?
He heard a critter rustling in the compost and started to make a mad dash back to the house.
Yep.
He fell in the pond hole.
(Thankfully, the only thing he injured was his pride.)

Reaction score
Oh boy! My husband and I have similar conversations. Like when we're driving:

Me: you know your exit is coming up, right?
Him: Of COURSE I know that!
Me: OK, I don't know why you're all the way in the left lane then, but I'll just sit here quietly and MYOB!

Next trip:
Him: I JUST PASSED MY EXIT! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SOMETHING!

Happens every time! Ah... marriage.

Glad your husband survived his tumble. I guess he can at least be grateful it was still just a hole and not a hole filled with water!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like my hubby. The passenger is the navigator, well if he wants to listen. But when he is passenger, he never mentions that our turn is coming up.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
My husband insists on having his phone navigation turned on... then he never listens to what it's saying. Constantly asks "what did she say?" I'm like "it's because it's a female voice, right? Can't take directions from a woman?" haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good morning! Good RAINY morning! I thought I would show you pictures of what I woke up to today. I'm now pumping it out, but having the pond filled with rainwater was a GREAT way to test my shelf levels. It proved that I'm on the right track and that I'm going to have a nice, large wildlife pond -- eventually. (Or maybe I have one right now! :ROFLMAO:). Tons and tons of rain expected in the south in the next couple of weeks. I hope the pump keeps working! When it is all done, there will be an overflow point, but I haven't finished building up around the sides - especially around the intake bay. For now, I will have to keep on top of it!
PS -- that's not a real liner! Just a cheap piece of thin plastic to help keep the shelves and overall excavation from eroding.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. For now, I will have to keep on top of it!
PS -- that's not a real liner! Just a cheap piece of thin plastic to help keep the shelves and overall excavation from eroding.
z
The rain is a great tattle tale it will show you areas that may be a problem down the road. In the finish product you will definitely want to stop the run off from the yard and driveway from getting into your pond. and to allow the water to sit in the pond is going to make compacting the soils impossible. if the plastic/ tarp was holding all the water that would be great as it would help[ keep things drier. i like your placement nice and close to the house and a hard wall the sound of the water fall will fill the area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a pump in there, pumping out the water as it refills - due to the continual rain! Yes, this is just the very rough excavation. The sides will be raised above ground level, just enough to keep runoff from going into the pond. You can't tell from the photos, but the yard has a bit of a slope downhill into the woods. That side is where I will have my overflow area. I have LOTS of work to do but I'm looking forward to it. If the rain ever stops!

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep lots of rain made mess of everything .When everything settles to the bottom it will be even worse .That is the main reason I did half above and half below ground .The you never know .We got so much rain that it made streams all over my yard and walk areas looked like rivers .I had water sitting where I have never seen water sit .Big huge puddles around all my gardens

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw where you want and have already had wildlife to your pond. yes those tracks look like coon or possum. EITHER WAY YOU CAN SEE THE SHARP CLAWS!!!! i would lean toward putting a thick non woven underlayment IN the pond before you start rocking but be advised that a little higher sides would be recommended to keep the water from whicking out of the pond

Ask a Question