Hallelujah! Spring is HERE!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did you once play Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak? Maybe you can use that experience to help you; seems like a similar situation...heh heh

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.
So, you think I should bump up the heat to 75 so they hatch and die since they have no cats to feast on?
I always thought the opposite. Keep it cold down there, figuring they would die off. I didn't realize they will just hibernate until it got warm.

Sorry for hijacking this thread!
I talked to my sister, she fought fleas in a house she had bought up in New Jersey, all over the basement. Run down fix me up place, even a leaking roof. They won the war by using diatomaceous earth, Lots, spread it everywhere, leave it. Wear a mask so you don't breath it in. That was all they did and the fleas died out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And back to spring! but fleas = spring, they are springing into life.

I installed the pump, turned it on, no pipe breaks and it started running. Working on 20 some years with that pump. Raked the bog , again, before turn on, surprising how much dead stuff accumulates over the winter. did a bit of dead leaves grooming on the iris, now need to put water proof boots on and groom some of the iris leaves in the pond. Tooooooo cold for bare legs. Right now 44f, going to keep a eye on the water temp as we are dipping down to 20's over night but then right back up above 40, for a few days, then 60 all next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I talked to my sister, she fought fleas in a house she had bought up in New Jersey, all over the basement. Run down fix me up place, even a leaking roof. They won the war by using diatomaceous earth, Lots, spread it everywhere, leave it. Wear a mask so you don't breath it in. That was all they did and the fleas died out.
Thanks! I need all the help I can get!

Yes, I sprinkled food grade diatomaceous earth all over. Lots of it!
There's a lot of things stored down there, so I'm guessing there are nooks and crannies, basically little hiding spaces, which have escaped treatment.

Once I'm ready, I'm going to do what JAMIEB suggested. Trick them out of hibernation by turning up the heat. Without a host to feed on and all my different flea traps and sprays, they should die off.
I had it wrong. I thought they would eventually die off if it stayed cold.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's what we're replacing the old PVC runs with :)
There are two types of flex pvc one they call kink free. it has an obvious spiral wrap that is more pronounced that wraps around the OUTSIDE of the pipe I have found this to be a step down from standard pvc . The other has a spiral wrap as well but it in Within the wall of the pipe Much stronger and durable pipe and the one i would recommend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Another work trip today, and I’m seeing a hint of spring. Some weeds are growing, but not the stuff we call henbit, it’s got the purple flowers that are small, makes the ground look like it has a purple haze, usually one of the first plants I see in spring here. But, with the winter we had, I’m sure it will be about another week before I see them.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
a ton of toad eggs are in the pond, i think i have got a algae bloom going to hit. i have read this is a problem most new ponds have and i am going to have to power thu it. the daffodils are out and my peach trees are flowering i saw my first honeybee of the year on it 2 days ago. i got 5 lotus seeds sprouted and i am going to put them in pots in a few days. i planted a row of taters , lettuce and cabbage last week. im gonna have to wait a few weeks to plant okra and tomatoes squash ect. i tilled and planted fescue and white clover around my pond. i built the pond last year and the grass never did grow, and it is a muddy mess. i will take some pics 2day and post them in another thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
a ton of toad eggs are in the pond, i think i have got a algae bloom going to hit. i have read this is a problem most new ponds have and i am going to have to power thu it. the daffodils are out and my peach trees are flowering i saw my first honeybee of the year on it 2 days ago. i got 5 lotus seeds sprouted and i am going to put them in pots in a few days. i planted a row of taters , lettuce and cabbage last week. im gonna have to wait a few weeks to plant okra and tomatoes squash ect. i tilled and planted fescue and white clover around my pond. i built the pond last year and the grass never did grow, and it is a muddy mess. i will take some pics 2day and post them in another thread.
Wow!
I'm jealous.
Your weather is months ahead of ours!
We're still covered in snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There are two types of flex pvc one they call kink free. it has an obvious spiral wrap that is more pronounced that wraps around the OUTSIDE of the pipe I have found this to be a step down from standard pvc . The other has a spiral wrap as well but it in Within the wall of the pipe Much stronger and durable pipe and the one i would recommend.
We're going to use the good kind ! We ordered it and it arrives on Monday :)

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Those poor people down in Texas are not used to those freezing temperatures. Pipes freezing, no drinking water, no electricity. Even the gas lines were freezing up. Terrible! I'm glad it's finally warming up there .I have a planter of tulips inside. Just green spikes coming up, then noticed I have two blooms coming up! I’m not sure spring is here yet, but it’s on its way.

Ask a Question