Hallelujah! Spring is HERE!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The first harbingers of Spring are always our Wood Frogs who show up to spawn in the pond, typically in early to mid February. I've been waiting. The weather has been cold. Nothing. Just nothing has shown up in the pond (other than a bunch of string algae - harrumph!!) But, today the temps soared, the sun shone & the Wood Frogs showed up!!! Hang in there, everybody, and don't listen to that silly groundhog - Spring is on its way!
Wood Frogs arrive 03.jpg
Wood Frogs arrive 05.jpg
Wood Frogs arrive 09.jpg
Wood Frogs arrive 10.jpg
Wood Frogs arrive 13.jpg
Wood Frogs arrive 14.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine has 4" of ice at the air stone who knows how thick it is in the dead pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yup it's the addition that was built last year so the fish could be caught . theres a shallow opeing to the area where it opens up to the dead pool know where to hide so i can catch the fish every year i seem to get a dozen new fish can't have that

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was giddy. Seriously. This was the one bright spot in my day (week, actually). :D
I can't wait to see frog life again. Hoping it's not too, too long. Sometimes I can get the pond running as early as mid-March. Not sure that'll happen this year, but you never know. There's so much snow and ice on it right now.

Fun fact, I have at least one dream per winter of the pond on a warm summer day with frogs sitting out and fish swimming around.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We are supposed to be 73 and sunny today! Next week rainy and in the 60s. Daffodils are up and some are blooming. Spring is absolutely on the way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We are supposed to be 73 and sunny today! Next week rainy and in the 60s. Daffodils are up and some are blooming. Spring is absolutely on the way!
My daffodils have been sprouting & some have been blooming since mid-December! Very confused, they are! This picture was taken on January 2nd:
img_9968.jpg

A few days later they were regretting their enthusiasm! LOL
snow day 16.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm jealous. Our pond, yard, house are literally covered with snow.

Today I tried to remove some snow buildup off of my house's roof. I use a (snow) roof rake. I did a very small section and I gave up, it was way too much work. Then I had to shovel the snow that landed on my walkway.

I'll just have to let nature take care of it. With the amount of snow we have, I think we'll still have some around even by mid Summer!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm jealous. Our pond, yard, house are literally covered with snow.

Today I tried to remove some snow buildup off of my house's roof. I use a (snow) roof rake. I did a very small section and I gave up, it was way too much work. Then I had to shovel the snow that landed on my walkway.

I'll just have to let nature take care of it. With the amount of snow we have, I think we'll still have some around even by mid Summer!
I’ll be asking you to share that snow by May! Spring only lasts about a month here, then we have early summer, when it’s hot, but not blistering, then in July- August, we get blistering summer, September into November we get Indian summer, then end of November first bit of December we typically get fall. Winter is end of December into February. This year has been a bad winter, with ice storm back in like November, real actual snow that lasted more than a day or two, and a much longer cold spell of below freezing temps. I’m almost scared of what summer will bring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I’ll be asking you to share that snow by May! Spring only lasts about a month here, then we have early summer, when it’s hot, but not blistering, then in July- August, we get blistering summer, September into November we get Indian summer, then end of November first bit of December we typically get fall. Winter is end of December into February. This year has been a bad winter, with ice storm back in like November, real actual snow that lasted more than a day or two, and a much longer cold spell of below freezing temps. I’m almost scared of what summer will bring!
As I repeatedly say...so much for global warming!
Did you notice...they had to change the narrative from "global warming" to "climate change".

Those poor people down in Texas are not used to those freezing temperatures.
Pipes freezing, no drinking water, no electricity. Even the gas lines were freezing up. Terrible! I'm glad it's finally warming up there.

I belong to a boating forum and there are a lot of boat engine blocks that cracked in Texas due to freezing. Normally they don't need to winterize those engines down there, so they were unprepared. There's going to be a shortage of marine engine blocks.
Outboards don't count. The water just runs out of them. Hardly any winterizing is done with an outboard. Just drain the water and replace the lube in the lower end.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ice is all gone off the pond today like addy said it was in the 60’s, not that the ice was very thick, it was just over half of the pond. Saw a frog yesterday poking its head out of some dead plants in the pond:

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
@poconojoe
You do realize global warming or climate change or whatever you wanna call it is about overall climate which isn’t the same as weather. Climate is about avg weather over time not just one weather pattern. So maybe understand what the vocab you are using means

Ask a Question