Harbor Freight/Northern Tool pumps

Reaction score
I've seen these mentioned several times. I know Sissy has or is still using them. Since this upcoming project will be my first attempt at any type of water gardening, I thought I'd go with a cheaper pump to start. No since spending $400 on a high end pump only to discover I miscalculated the needed GPH or head requirements. So what would I be looking for. A sump pump, clear water, trash pump etc. I have no idea just what I'd need.

Doug

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got the 2150 gph one and it is on sale now for 79 dollars and get the warranty for an extra 10 dollars just in case .Those other pumps you have mentioned use a lot of electricity and are not made to run all the time .A back up pump is always great to have .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Clear water is the best for the pond application, Sump pumps are NOT made to run continuosly. Waste pumps will work but not well designed for ponds and will clog pretty easily once algae and debris start accumilating in the pond. BTW rule of thumb is a turn over rate on once a hour. Also be sure and purchase the extended warranty with harbor freight. It's well worth the extra cost. they are cheap pumps and don't last that well. having that extended warranty is the one big benefit of buying those pumps as when one burns out they simply replace it. I'm running two and they aren't that bad of pumps and IMO just as good as any available at most Lowes and Home depot stores

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 from 8 years ago and they run fine but they are to small for my pond after I made it bigger and my neighbor has 2 of them .I guess for the price they are fine and would love an expensive one but figure with my luck something would happen to it .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It won't be running 24/7 anyway. I'd estimate 6 hours a day at most during the week and maybe 12 hours a day on weekends.

Doug
Why would you only be running this short of time. If your running a pump for a filter it needs to run 24/7 if not the filter is pretty much useless. the bacteria need constant flow and oxygen to preform their function. for a atream or water feature that would be fine but still you need constant water circulation and plenty of oxygen in most cases. Not all but most.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Fishin, if I remember correctly he is planning a very long pondless stream. And will shut it off at night as to not encourage wild animals from nearby.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Postman.. you know I seem to remember figuring the approximate volume your stream would hold, when you asked about what volume your basin should be to hold all of that water when you turn off the pump. I figured it for you, and told you a volume... but I failed to think of the fact that you wanted a pondless feature... so your basin would have a lot of rock in it taking up space also, and wouldnt hold the amount of water you needed for your stream......I dont know why I just thought of that, any nobody must have noticed my mistake and corrected me on your other thread.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the clear water pump with our stream and deck ponds due to its great head pressure. Ours, too, is on a timer. We have not seen a real hit in our electric bill doing it that way.

Reaction score
I have an idea to hopefully solve the rock in the basin issue and thereby still be able to use the full volume of the stock tank. I'm thinking of taking a piece of galvanized cattle panel and overlaying it with galvanized hardware cloth, placing that on top of the stock tank, then placing my rocks on top of that. With the rock spread out there shouldn't be an excess of weight in any one spot. Obviously you wouldn't be able to walk on it, but why would you need to anyway? Any thoughts on this idea?????

Doug

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why not get one of those plastic pallets instead, cheaper and easier ,most places are glad to get rid of them.For a basin you can also use a very large sump pump vault .I know my lowes carries a 150 gallon one.Most just put roofing liner in the hole .I built one for my cousin that way ,the most expensive part was the rock and she has the harbor freight pump now for 3 years that I have and not one problem so far ,crossing my fingers I did not jinx her

Ask a Question