Hard time planting Grass Seed around my Pond

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I live in Chicago and we have had some intermittently hot and cold weather but I am having a hard time planting Grass Seed in areas around my Pond that need some attention. I water it daily and put straw OVER the grass seed to keep it from blowing away, but after another night of a strong storm, the Grass Seed is all gone.

Any suggestions? Thank you,

Shane

Reaction score
Dig small patches of sod from around the yard and transplant. Most won't make it, some will.

Or buy the grass seed that's in a mulch. I think the mulch is ground up paper. You apply it and the paper sets up like paper mache. Seed won't blow away (even in Chicago) or wash away and birds can't get them. You can also just make it. Water and paper in the blender, stir (not blend) in the grass seed and apply. Water a few times a day depending on conditions. You can also add 1/4" layer of fine mulch on top if keeping it damp is hard. Pretty easy for small areas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a plug thing i got with my zoysia grass ..You could use maybe a bulb planter to take out plugs .

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Hey Shanezam, are you working the ground up a bit before you seed it and cover w straw? Need good seed soil contact.

Best way is to drill it, actually plant it in the soil. I've tried spreading it and also spreading and covering it over the years with minimal luck. Past 2 years I've borrowed a buddies seed drill and I've had the best luck.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Thats a good idea, almost like aerating the lawn. I may try something similar, last night I put some top soil on top with grass seed mixed in, should that help?

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
It will but if you can find a drill or slot seeder it'll be the best. Don't know the size or area your dealing with or if drill info it's an option. I do my whole yard, an acre +. Also works better in early fall than spring.

Ask a Question