sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great news for now at least and now is the hard part finding out what she could have gotten hold of and make sure she does not get to it again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to hear fishing.
One of my yorkies was stung by a scorpion, her hind legs were paralyzed for over 48 hours. I never did take her to the vet, called him and he told me that is what had happened and to just wait it out.
Dogs have a great ability to heal. Keep us updated.

Reaction score
I have a lab that sezies. Not too often since she is on phenobarb, but ocasionally they do happen. I just lay with her until it subsides. Not a fun thing to go through

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's what they prescribed for her as well, So far there hasn't been anymore but if she does she will be going on phenobarb, right away. I'm just hoping that we don't need it. I'd hate to think I would have to give her that pill twice a day for the rest of her life. I have a hard enough time remebering my own! lol

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just out of curiosity, Larkin, did they check her blood glucose? Low blood sugars can have the same effects, at least on humans. Found out the hard way when I woke up in hospital after having a 'grand mal' seizure and chewing off half my tongue, all due to an insulin reaction. Don't want to go through that again! John

Reaction score
That's what they prescribed for her as well, So far there hasn't been anymore but if she does she will be going on phenobarb, right away. I'm just hoping that we don't need it. I'd hate to think I would have to give her that pill twice a day for the rest of her life. I have a hard enough time remebering my own! lol

Lol I swear my lab is addicted to them. She waits by the bathroom door wagging her tail when I'm in the shower. When I open the door I ask her if she is fiegning for her barb and she answers with one of her grunts

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just out of curiosity, Larkin, did they check her blood glucose? Low blood sugars can have the same effects, at least on humans. Found out the hard way when I woke up in hospital after having a 'grand mal' seizure and chewing off half my tongue, all due to an insulin reaction. Don't want to go through that again! John
John, that's one of the first tests that they ran. They checked her blood sugar levels for both high and low sugar. That was normal, she did have a somewhat high protein level, The are going to retest that again in two weeks but the Vet thinks that that may have had something to do with dehydration. She wasn't drinking much water at all that Sunday and only drank a little Monday. Since the seizures declined she went right back to drinking and eating like normal. the one thing that is noticably different since the seizures is she is a Lot more calmer. we don't know why but if that's the worst thing that comes out of all this I'll be super happy! LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe she knows she needs to keep calm to feel better and she is trying to be the perfect angel .Did they test her for her sugar during a fast time .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, they did, I had to make sure she hadn't eaten in the last 12 houes, which it at actually been closer to 18-20 hours since we last saw her eat. BTW, she back to being her normal self just a little calmer when people walk down the street or when we get visitors that she really knows.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good to know have you checked out your plants .I found out something about my pee wees tests turns out he is allergic to be stings and that could have been part of his rash .I did not see the little bump on his side ,since is a chunky guy ,but the vet noticed

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well the good news didn't last, Endy went into a gramma seizure this morning. Lasted almost 15 minutes. we went to the Vet. and they kept her all day, sedated her and got her on a IV, her protein level has dropped, she's is loss of balance, and she's only semi responsive as of this afternoon. They let me pick her up at 5 but all she has done is sleep since we got home. Have to take her back at 8am in the morning for another IV and sedative, then she'll be on medication the rest of her life. I sure had my fingers crossed that that wouldn't be the case. They say it's a condition they can live a long time with if treated, so I guess my baby will be on meds for a long time to come now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey meds are not such a bad thing as my hunter was on thyroid meds since he was a year old .He was a wiemerweiner and the meds had a warning about kidney failure but he lived to be 12 years old and was one spoiled dog .I blame my first vet for what she did that shortened his life .She said she was doing the thyroid tests but I got suspeciouse about the paper work and called the lab and found out they never heard of hunter and the lab did no such tests for that doctor .Well at least if your dog is on meds it may control it but please make sure they do all the follow up tests to make sure the meds do not have to be reduced .I learned the hard way and now really think twice about everything when it comes to what vets say .The new vet I have is a lot better but I think he understands my concerns and what I went through .Now I check all lab tests with a fine tooth comb .Good luck and I hope doggie gets better ,she sounds like a fighter and with a smile like that how could she not be

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, No problem with the lab tests, They bring me right to the lab and go over all the results with me. I just got back from the Vet. and her proteins are back up a little today. Both Vets agree that that may be causing the seizures but also could be a result of them. so they want me to wait until she hasn't had one of the seizures for at least 7-10 days then test again. They put her on a vitamin and mineral supplement. She had lost about 4.5# in three weeks and has always held a steady 40#-41# since she was a little over a year old. She's down to 36.3# from 40.8# when I first took her in. Good thing is, she really likes the supplement Sugar levels look good, white blood cell count was a little low but not alarming. Gum color was back to normal, and she's up and moving around today. not as active as normal but we expected that with the sedation and phenal-barbitol. They also want me to change the diet of all the dogs, going to a higher grade food with less fillers and more nutrients. Gave me a choice between Science Diet and Iams so I am trying samples to see what they seem to like the best to eat. She seems to like the eukanuba which I would like to feed but the pug won't touch it yet. We have to find something they all three will eat because they share food and we need something all three will benefit from.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the all natural foods with no corn gluten or corn meal or soy in it as I found out when doing an investagation when hunter was first diagnosed with thyroid problems that those products number one on the no no list for dogs >Since then they have improved dog foods since then greatly and my dogs like nutrish because it is all natural .But peewee likes his veggies so I still give him fresh veggies .I hope they find out more ,I have been watching for updates on reese and your puppy and been hoping for the best for both .I have always been an animal lover and maybe thats why I can't eat meat at all .Well all you can do is hope for the best .My well wishes are with her .Good luck

Ask a Question