j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear all this Larkin about your pup. Sure hope the meds will help her adjust. She's lucky to have someone who cares enough to get her the care she needs. Prayers go out to her to feel better!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks JW, It seems to be a fairly common issue but even as common as seizures sre there is only a limited amount of things that can help control them. It doesn't seem to be life threating if kept in check and after one within a few minutes she is usually right back to normal after going through the dazed period. Guess I'm glad it's nothing worse than it is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear she bounces right back to her old self. Nothing worse than watching an animal suffer and not being able to help them. While we were in Hawaii we were out walking on a beach up towards the harbor. Sat on a little bench by the beach and in front of us sat a white pigeon that looked rather sickly looking. It sat there not moving much. It did get up and chase off a tiny sparrow but I noticed it walked funny. Found a piece of bread and set it down by the bird. He gobbled it up. While he was eating I cautiously slowly grabbed the bird and examined it. Found it had fish line wrapped around both feet. One toe was dangling and dead. The line was attached to both feet w/ a line running across to both of them. Tried to unattach it but needed scissors. So yelled out " anyone have anything sharp like scissors or something"..........prolly thought I was nuts and going on a cutting rampage or something. But this one guy sitting in his car got out and brought me his tiny key chain scissors. Was able to cut the line off and let the bird go free. He still hung around not knowing I suppose after having all the line on him for so long that he could leave. I then dug in a trash can nearby and found some french fries and he ate those up like mad. Guy in the car w/ the scissors said " So you came here all the way from Washington just to save one or our birds, lol" He said "Mahalo" (thank you).
I hope the pretty white bird makes it around ok now!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job jw! Glad you helped the little bird.

Sorry to hear that fishin about your pup, hope they can get the meds to stabilize you pup and make it fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks JW, It seems to be a fairly common issue but even as common as seizures sre there is only a limited amount of things that can help control them. It doesn't seem to be life threating if kept in check and after one within a few minutes she is usually right back to normal after going through the dazed period. Guess I'm glad it's nothing worse than it is.
I just came across this post. What happened with the dog? do you even still have it? Many years ago I had a seven year old Golden Retriever that started growling at my husband and would walk into corners and not figure out how to get out. I loved this dog. He passed the Canine Good Citizenship test to be a theraphy dog. After lots of expensive testing, it was determined he had a brain tumor. You were very lucky. I hope your dog had (has) a long and healthy life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just came across this post. What happened with the dog? do you even still have it? Many years ago I had a seven year old Golden Retriever that started growling at my husband and would walk into corners and not figure out how to get out. I loved this dog. He passed the Canine Good Citizenship test to be a theraphy dog. After lots of expensive testing, it was determined he had a brain tumor. You were very lucky. I hope your dog had (has) a long and healthy life.
@Lindasue so very sorry to hear about your dog Val and I sponsor guide dogs for the blind "or as they are known in the US Seeing eye dogs"and are proud doing so [my decessed Uncle willy was born blind plus we have a friend with Retinosa pigmentosa [unsure of the spelling] it means he hasnt full eyesight in the daytime there being a blind spot right in froont of him , at night he suffers night blindness
Weve so far seen three of our dogs graduate and we have a fourth in training .
All dogs who help humans are needed its just a shame their arent more of them

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@fishin4cars if you're still monitoring, can you give a follow-up?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haven't heard from @fishin4cars in a long time. Miss him :(
Yeah, me too! He's been busy with his pond, work, chickens and goats, and being on other forums. I sort of keep up with him on Face Book, and he's always the greatest about helping and answering questions. I've told him we really miss him here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Old thread, but our first Chihuahua has had a handful of seizures. Maybe 4 total in his 8 years on earth. We had the vet run tests and nothing came back in the results. The vet said there is medication but it has a lot of side effects and wouldn't be worth putting him on it unless the seizures became more regular. So we just keep an eye on him. Its been a few years since his last one. It is very scary though. Breaks my heart knowing there is nothing I can do to help him. After the seizure is over he seems sad and a little out of it and just wants me to hold him, so I oblige.

I hope fishin and his pup are doing ok.

Ask a Question