Has anyone used "Dimilin-X" for Anchor Worms?

Reaction score
I would prefer to not have a reason to learn about anchor worms at all, but I suppose if I must, we are at least in a reasonable position with them.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So true, Not something we want to learn about, especially first hand! At least it's not one of those microscopic buggers that takes a scope and scrape just to figure out what your dealing with. Some of them can be the real buggers to treat and control. Anchor worms IMO are a fairly easy one to treat and eliminate with to much chance of losing the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
Good shout capewind anchor worm it is,I cant help you with the dimlin powder as its banned here in the UK so I cant use it, unless I go down the generic route, which I never have done.
I would worry about anchor worm as I've seen a photo of a godfish with hundereds of them all over is body.
It's latin name is LernaeaIt attacks all over the body of a hoste fish releases its eggs they hatch and grow to adult size and infect the hoste and so on .
They like scales, around the mouth, around the eyes, gills on fins and on the joints of the fish they are also harmful in large infestations/numbers.
There is also a possibility of a fungal or bacterial infection through the attachment sites.
If your going to treat you'll have to do it in two phases the first phase will be to physically remove the adult achor worm from infected fish which means you will have to anethatize each fish in your pond and remove any adults found not once but everyday for 10 whole days sometimes more so you would have to QT them all in other words.
Paint whe wound from where you've removed the worm with either malachite green and propolis or just plain old propolis to ensure against fungal or bacterial infection
Then to treat against the baby and Juvenile anchor worm you'll need to treat the pond with an Organophosphate based treatment a number of times to be sure you have destroyed all the eggs and juveniles free swimming in the water.
It looks like youve become infected by introducing it by a new fish that got through your QT proceedures.
Remember to check them all thoroughly miss one and the whole cycle will start again.
Having never suffured with it I've read about it many times in the past.
This is from various Author's under various Titles,so if anyone can come up with a more modern treatment for anchor worm go with that and its one I'll add to my chemicals list so we'd be both learning

rgrds

Dave

Dave 54 said:
Good shout capewind anchor worm it is,I cant help you with the dimlin powder as its banned here in the UK so I cant use it, unless I go down the generic route, which I never have done.
I would worry about anchor worm as I've seen a photo of a godfish with hundereds of them all over is body.
It's latin name is LernaeaIt attacks all over the body of a hoste fish releases its eggs they hatch and grow to adult size and infect the hoste and so on .
They like scales, around the mouth, around the eyes, gills on fins and on the joints of the fish they are also harmful in large infestations/numbers.
There is also a possibility of a fungal or bacterial infection through the attachment sites.
If your going to treat you'll have to do it in two phases the first phase will be to physically remove the adult achor worm from infected fish which means you will have to anethatize each fish in your pond and remove any adults found not once but everyday for 10 whole days sometimes more so you would have to QT them all in other words.
Paint whe wound from where you've removed the worm with either malachite green and propolis or just plain old propolis to ensure against fungal or bacterial infection
Then to treat against the baby and Juvenile anchor worm you'll need to treat the pond with an Organophosphate based treatment a number of times to be sure you have destroyed all the eggs and juveniles free swimming in the water.
It looks like youve become infected by introducing it by a new fish that got through your QT proceedures.
Remember to check them all thoroughly miss one and the whole cycle will start again.
Having never suffured with it I've read about it many times in the past.
This is from various Author's under various Titles,so if anyone can come up with a more modern treatment for anchor worm go with that and its one I'll add to my chemicals list so we'd be both learning

rgrds

Dave
Hi Dave - I have one small koi about 6 inches. In my pond with a 4ft depth, I'd have to empty the pond 80% to catch him. Don't want
to do that since I just re-built the pond and the nitrification process is finally working after using FritzZyme 700. I can only make out a green thread,
most likely an anchor worm coated with algae coming out of his back. My view is obscurred from the algae on the possible anchor worm.
I can't catch him. In 20 years, I never had anchor worm but from what you're saying, I can wipe out my pond if not taken care of properly.
Any suggestions? Thanks so much...

Ask a Question