Has anyone used this as bio filter material?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
dieselplower said:
Yes sir it seems you have a good understanding! If I were going to use them as mechanical filtration, I would use them as full pieces, rather than chunks in a bag. Good find!
They look to be on a par with Jap matting which to buy can be quite expersive, I'm going to check out our local B&Q here in Plymouth UK probably going to save us a packet .
Have you thought about using either K1 or K3 along with your bio balls DOUBBLETAP ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Before I put the bog in, I used scrubby pads, (the rectangled green ones you use to scrub dishes with) in my bio filter, worked great!
I could get a large package of them at the Dollar Tree here for 1$. They are much thinner than what you showed there, but for a buck, I could fill up the bottom portion of my bio setting them on there sides and packing them in there for 5-6$ Had the same ones for 4 years till I built the bog, very durable. If you get lucky, I've also seen them sold at Flea Markets, in the booths where they sell things for 1$ or 2$, they had twice as many in the package.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I cut them into 4 inch squares and placed in a barrel. don't know if you can see them in the picture or not. I did go away from these as was hard to clean and went with the birdman sand and gravel filter. more efficient and super easy to clean. You can see the sand and gravel filter just behind. I've got two now set up.

take a look

Attachments

• filter pit.jpg
    filter pit.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
I wasn't able to find floor scrubber pads at my local Home Depot or Menards :/ I need to clean my pads again and I really want to replace them but I can get by for now and hopefully source something for next spring.

Reaction score
TekWarren said:
I wasn't able to find floor scrubber pads at my local Home Depot or Menards :/ I need to clean my pads again and I really want to replace them but I can get by for now and hopefully source something for next spring.
Did you look in the tool rental section? That is where I saw them along with the floor sanders.

Ask a Question