Haven't seen me on much this week? This is why!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry to hear about the fire. Cooking oil fires and burns from them can be very bad. You're both very lucky. Quite a few years ago, (10? maybe 12? the calls run together anymore..) I was on a call where a guy was making pop corn and he fell asleep and the oil caught fire. He woke up and tried to toss it out the back door but he missed and the oil set the door on fire. It was a small basement apartment and his only escape unfortunatly. We arrived pretty quickly but he was not as fortunate as your wife and was unable to get out in time and our revival efforts failed.

22K in damage to the house is also pretty moderate. Sounds like you had a good reponse from your local fire department. It sucks when these things happen at Christmas. But Christmas can also remind us what is truly important and hopefully it makes us appreciate the people in our lives and what we do have.

Good luck on the repairs and best wishes to your wife. If she had 3rd degree burns, she'll have some bad days ahead and some therapy ahead of her. I wish her the best.

Craig

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thank you everyone for the get wells wishes and support. The wife is doing much better, She goes back to the Dr. today but so far no infections, the burn is really starting to look better, and the place where the third degree burn was located( about the size of a #2 pencil eraser has started covering over. The Dr. cleaned out all the burn and opened it up. Actually looks far better than it sounds. As for the Damage to the house, All the kids came over Saturday and helped clean up and wash everything down, shampooed the carpets and pitched in and helped get the house ready for Christmas. Was a really nice four days with all the kids and Grandkids, Parents and Grand Parents, Uncles and Aunts. We are so glad it wasn't worse and still be able to have a blessed and Merry Christmas holiday. So much to be thankful for! Hope each and everyone had a equally blessed and Merry Christmas!!

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Wow, you are very lucky. Thank god you got out safely and your wife is doing better. Fires are never fun unless they are camp fires. My ex father in law passed on Good Friday this year from a long battle with a very rare form of blood cancer that he got from being a arson investigator. He retired from the fire dept after 30 yrs and finding out about the cancer. Glad you had a good Christmas with your family!!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Glad to hear you are recovering from the mishap, Larkin. Some clouds DO have a silver lining! Hope your Christmas was merry, and your wife's burns heal quickly.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear about what happened and very pleased that you are both ok! I hope your wife's hand continues to heal quickly :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Larkin, Glad to hear your wife is okay. The whole thing sounds very scary. It sounds like the fire department did a great job. We had a small incident last month, but it was nothing like yours. We had a 30th birthday party for one of our daughters last month. We put the pizza in the oven to keep warm while waiting for everyone to get to our house and somehow the boxes caught on fire. All our smoke detectors went crazy. My wife's uncle wanted to grab the burning boxes and carry them out of the house. I stopped him because that could have caused even more problems. I threw some water on the burning boxes and we ended up eating pizza that was slightly charred. I had a fire extinguisher right by the stove but didn't want use it and waste over $100 worth of pizzas!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Keith, Becky and everyone else, Thank you all for the prayers and wishes. My wife's hand is looking a whole lot better. Just a few small scabs left from the burns and the worst spot seems to be healing very well. 90% of all the repairs are done, We got the new vent installed and are now up to code, new section of roofing was finished yesterday, Cabinets have been stripped, cleaned, and repainted, New vent hood installed and the siding on the house repaired and all the wiring and electrical has been repaired and passed the inspection. All we have left to do now is get someone out to shoot foam insulation back into the voids between the rafters and install the facial boards and all the repairs will be done. right now we are still $6,000 below the estimated repair costs so overall I'm pretty pleased that it wasn't any worse than it was. We also got a new updated alarm system from the alarm company. They came in last week to reset the old one and found it was out dated as well. Signed a new 2 year contract with the alarm company and they installed Carbon Monoxide detectors, two more additional smoke detectors and another heat detector in the kitchen plus we got new sensors for all the doors and windows and new motion detectors installed for free. All we have to pay is the $24.99 a month for the contract agreement which includes notifying Fire and Police automatically after the alarm goes off for 60 seconds. This is a new feature that helps cut down of false calls. Keith, Glad to hear no one was hurt and you were able to save the pizza's, Being a little charred probably tasted a lot better than being covered in fire extinguisher dust. :) Hope everyone has a Safe and Happy New Year and best wishes to all for 2013!!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad you mentioned carbon monoxide detectors! A misunderstood home-safety tool.

We actually had a small leak (few years back), but didn't know it. I kept getting horrible headaches that we attributed to allergies. Problem was, most of my allergies are outdoor-related :( , and strangely, my H/A's went away when I was outside. It was time for our furnace check-up anyway, but didn't connect the H/A's to the CO, until the service tech came down from attic and said, "Start opening windows, NOW!"

For some reason, I was sensitive to the gas, enough that it gave me H/A's, but the levels hadn't risen enough yet to effect anyone else. Scary, because our son's bedroom is directly under the furnace -- he was about 7 or 8 at the time (17 now).

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
We have 2 CO detectors. One on each floor and 7 smoke alarms. We have to do monthly drills with the daycare kids so they are all checked monthly. We are switching over to electric smoke alarms because they "talk" to other smokes and if one goes off, they all go off. Our 2 CO detectors do go off together. We have one that is right by the furnace. I was unsure where to put them so I went up to the fire dept and asked them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well it's been a very busy week. I started a new job and was only suppose to work two or three days a week.

Do you still have "contacts" at your old place of business? Thinking ahead to a fish-shopping spree this spring.

Sounds like everything is progressing smoothly, especially your wife's recovery! You are so fortunate to have the support system you have [community as well as family]. I'm a very messy housekeeper, but have been paying close attention to the stove lately. I don't cook a lot, so the stove tends to end up as a catch-all area, but that's going to have to stop. I've been guilty of turning on the wrong burner, so know how easily and innocently an accident can unfold. Give your wife hug for me!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, I am still working there too, Just part time. If you get ready to come down for a fish shopping spree please LMK ahead and I'll help you locate some of the better fish shops in the area.

Ask a Question