Haven't seen me on much this week? This is why!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well it's been a very busy week. I started a new job and was only suppose to work two or three days a week. My coworker had to have some skin cancer removed so I have been working every day. Wed. night I was out by the barn when this loud alarm sound started up. I walked around the edge of the barn to see what all the noise was just about the time it dawned on me that it was my house alarm. Since I had never heard it before I really didn't know what it was or why. Took a couple of steps toward the house and the back door flew open and a HUGE ball of fire came out the door. You can only imagine what went through my brain next. (Those words probably should be kept in private but I think most will get the idea) I ran to the house and all I can see is fire and smoke! My wife is screaming to help get the animals out. By the time the animals were all rescued and the fire gotten under control the Fire dept arrived. The wife and I were both choking and gagging from smoke inhalation. Seems my wife was trying to boil a pot of tea and turned on the wrong eye on the stove. Instead of boiling water she boiled a 2 qt pot of old cooking oil. It ignited and went up into the kitchen cabinets. Not thinking clearly she grabbed the pot and tried to carry it out in the driveway when it exploded in her hand. She has 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns over 70% of her right hand. I ran her to the emergency room and the fire dept started trying to make sure there was no smoldering in the house. When we returned home at 3am Thurs. morning the house was unbelievable. The fire had gone into the wall and up into the second story of the house. (Log Cabin Home) they had to tear out the back wall of the house to get all the fire out. Glad to report that the only injury was my wifes hand which the Dr.s say will fully recover with minimal scaring. The Ins. Company says that there was aprox. $22,000 in damage.
The whole interior of the house is covered in light smoke from the ceiling to the floor. We have been cleaning since Thurs. Morning and are exhausted. But able to stay in the house and didn't have to move out from the damage. Very scary ordeal. I finally got all electricity rerouted and the ponds back up and running this morning. The fire was located right beside the breaker panel and it damaged some of the wiring and tripped every GFCI when the fire dept was watering down the walls. Thank goodness the alarm system worked and we had a fire extinguisher close by. It really could have been so much worse. I have to say Thank you to the Quick response to our local Volunteer Fire dept. They stayed until the fire was completely out and were still here when we returned home. Also Thanking the good lord, I honestly think just a minute or two more and we could have lost the whole house.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW...never a dull moment huh?... glad everything turned out O.K. ... or atleast not as bad as it could have been ..get some topical cannabis oil for her burns...amazing stuff on burns !! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOUVE GOT!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow Larkin, so glad it was not worse! I have made a habit of keeping our stove clear of everything, too often I turn on the wrong burner. Easy to do and with the glass top sometimes don't notice right away.

Have a great christmas, you are blessed to not have lost everything including your wife.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, WOW! So glad things turned out OK! Give my best to your wife. Sounds like something I would do... Were all the inside animals OK?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow not good and hope things get better and you get things back to normal fast and hope your wifes hand will not hurt much because burns are very painful .Glad animals were fine

Reaction score
Scary stuff Larkin. Glad to hear your wife will recover, like you say it could have been worse. House fires are always very scary,

Your story sounds very similar to what happen to my son about 5 years ago. He ended up with a pan of oil on the stove on fire that totally melted the range hood and damaged the cupboards and wall. It could have also been much worse considering he was only about 9 and ended up putting out the fire by himself :eek: . Thing is we were overly insured and moving out anyway, safest and best thing he could have done would have been to run out of the house and let the place burn to the ground.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh my son lost his whole house last year as they were up in NJ and since it was in a rural area and back in a wooded area no one saw it until it was to late .Theres was an electric surge from the meter that the co- op electric company put in a new meter while they were gone .It turned out it was defective

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank the Lord you are all going to be fine! Hope your wife is not in too much pain as those burns can be horrible. So glad you didn't lose your home and any pets. What a scary thing to happen and right before Christmas. Good thing you were there when it happened and could help your poor wife to the hospital and yes fireman are sent from God.
Hope you can both relax now and enjoy being at home together for the holidays.
MChristmas567.gif

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
From all of us here we are glad you and your family safe ......we are gob smack for your ordeal, begin right on christmas too, money can always replace structure but not loss.
your all in our thoughts

whiskey and family

Reaction score
Sorry for the damage, but blessed that your wife wasn't hurt more severely. Good luck with the new job, have a Merry Christmas. Bud

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
wow glad you are all ok
Merry Christmas's and a better New year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sorry to hear, but thank goodness your wife will recover and your able to be in your home! Take care!

Ask a Question