Having the last word

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So was that number 1,2,3, or 4?

1)Smart 2)Obnoxious or stupid 3)Boring 4) Silly

It would be interesting to see who who get the most votes for each category. I think Larkin would win for #1, for #2 if it was limited to obnoxious then it would definitely be w------g. I'm probably a good Candidate for #3 with this thread, and Tmann for 4?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Tmann the end is 2 words in case you are trying for the last word :p . How about zwieback......................it's the last word in my dictionary here anyways :goodnight:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In case anyone is interested: Zwieback is a type of crisp, sweetened bread, made with eggs and baked twice.
It is sliced before it is baked a second time, which produces crisp, brittle slices that closely resemble melba toast.[sup][1][/sup] Zwieback is commonly used to feed teething children,[sup][1][/sup] and as the first solid food for patients with an upset stomach.
The name comes from German zwei ("two") or zwie ("twi-"), and backen, meaning "to bake".[sup][2][/sup] Zwieback hence literally translates to "twice-baked".
Zwieback originated in East Prussia, Germany. The Mennonites brought Zwieback to Russia (now Ukraine); during and after the Russian Revolution, they brought Zwieback to Canada and other parts of the world.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested: Zwieback is a type of crisp, sweetened bread, made with eggs and baked twice.
It is sliced before it is baked a second time, which produces crisp, brittle slices that closely resemble melba toast.[sup][1][/sup] Zwieback is commonly used to feed teething children,[sup][1][/sup] and as the first solid food for patients with an upset stomach.
The name comes from German zwei ("two") or zwie ("twi-"), and backen, meaning "to bake".[sup][2][/sup] Zwieback hence literally translates to "twice-baked".
Zwieback originated in East Prussia, Germany. The Mennonites brought Zwieback to Russia (now Ukraine); during and after the Russian Revolution, they brought Zwieback to Canada and other parts of the world.

You just killed it for reason number 3, haha.

that actually sounds crazy, I hate the crust, why slice it up and bake it again to make it all crusty :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yup it was a quite boring so you are right! re zweibeck, I have never heard of it but It's probably similar in consistency to a baked pita chip. I would think it's good for spreads and dipping. When I was a kid we used to eat melba toast which I guess is about the same thing. I don't know if it is still around. We have been watching "mad men" at our house and have watched all the episodes in a short time span. It's amazing all the weird stuff they bring up in the show that I remember from growing up in that era.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok on w/ some more boring history on Zwieback just for the heck of it :razz:

Russian Mennonite. Wheat-farming Russian Mennonites, who brought the first Turkey red winter wheat seeds to Kansas in 1875, are credited with transforming this part of the prairie into the nation's breadbasket. Their foodways were influenced by sojourns in the Netherlands, Germany, and the Ukraine. A Protestant sect advocating a simple life and a firm commitment to the ideas of the church, much like the Amish, the Mennonites kept searching for a place where they could work and worship in peace. Fleeing religious persecution for their pacifist views, the Mennonites brought their favorite foodways with them to each new homeland. One specialty, a fruit soup or moos (pronounced "mose"), is thickened with flour. Verenicke, a ravioli-like pasta filled with dry-curd cheese, is served with sour cream ham gravy, jelly, or syrup. Homemade bread is a staple in most households, but the traditional favorite is zwieback, a brioche-type sweet yeast bread often served on Sundays. When sliced and toasted in the oven, it takes on a nutty, delicious flavor and keeps for weeks. Immigrant families often brought baskets of toasted zwieback to last until they reached the prairie.

zwieback.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A recipe:

The word "zwieback" is German in origin and means "twice baked" - which describes these crunchy teething biscuits (or rusks) perfectly.
After trying this recipe, you may also like to visit ourbaby bread stickspage to discover other ways to create your own "twice baked" teething biscuits.
If you are not sure whether or not to introduce zwieback toast to your baby, read the information on our mainteething biscuitspage. You will also find details about the ingredients used in all of our teething biscuit recipes and whether or not they may be safe for YOUR baby.
Remember:Always discuss the introduction of ANY new foods with your child's doctor.

Zwieback Toast
zwieback-recipe-for-baby.jpg
1 package active dried yeast
4 fl oz (1/2 cup) milk
2 oz (1/4 cup) sugar
2 oz )1/4 cup) butter
pinch salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs (unbeaten)
12 oz (3 cups) flour

Gently warm the milk until tepid and add the yeast. Set aside for 5 mins, to allow the yeast to activate.
Melt the butter and add to the mixture, along with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Add enough of the flour to form a dough, then knead well until the dough is smooth - you may need to add extra flour as you knead.
Set the dough aside and leave it to rise.
Once it has doubled in size (around 1 hr later), divide it into 3 equal pieces and form into "rolls".
Place on an ungreased baking/cookie sheet and allow to rise again (around 30 mins).
Bake for 20 mins at 400 deg F, 200 deg C, then cool.
Lower the oven temperature to 200 deg F, 100 deg C and slice the rolls into 1/2" slices.
Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 mins, until the zwieback toast is dry and hard.

Read more:http://www.homemade-...l#ixzz24PnQgfea

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For JW..

What is the absolute last word in any dictionary?

Zyxt is listed as the last word in the online Oxford English Dictionary, an obsolete Kentish word that is the second singular indicative present form of the verb see. The next-to-last is zyxst, an obsolete word meaning 'sixth'. Several online dictionaries list the word zyzzyva, a tropical American weevil, as the last word in the letter Z.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aha, mine is an old version of Websters from 1986. I had a feeling that more words would have been added to the end since then.
Course ya know I had to go look and see what the Zyzzyva weevil looked like and here one is.
I read they also like to hang around palm trees and isn't he/she a beauty!

Zyzzyva.jpg

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Aha, mine is an old version of Websters from 1986. I had a feeling that more words would have been added to the end since then.
Course ya know I had to go look and see what the Zyzzyva weevil looked like and here one is.
I read they also like to hang around palm trees and isn't he/she a beauty!

View attachment 46957
very interesting ,and not to stupid!

Ask a Question