j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm always saying hello to people w/ those ear bud phones cuz when they answer them and say hello I think they are just being friendly and talking to me, then they keep talking and I finally realize it's not to me................oh this new technology stuff is hard to keep up with :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh I remember when we had one phone in the house which was corded and was made out of this heavy black material and was rotary. We had party lines where you shared a phone line w/ maybe 2 - 4 other homes. We each had our own amt of rings so we knew when to answer our phone. Sometimes you would here a little click and you'd know someone was listening to your conversation from the other party line. You couldn't talk forever or the other party would squawk at you and say " are you ever getting off cuz I need to use the phone" then they'd hang up w/ a slam and wait for you to get off. Like ole Bob Dylan sang "Oh the times they are a changin!"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw showing our maturity! Yep no phone, no car, no tv, then this little black and white thing that made pictures came into the house...............lol

My first cell phone was hard wired into my car.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In case anyone is interested: Zwieback is a type of crisp, sweetened bread, made with eggs and baked twice.
It is sliced before it is baked a second time, which produces crisp, brittle slices that closely resemble melba toast.[sup][1][/sup] Zwieback is commonly used to feed teething children,[sup][1][/sup] and as the first solid food for patients with an upset stomach.
The name comes from German zwei ("two") or zwie ("twi-"), and backen, meaning "to bake".[sup][2][/sup] Zwieback hence literally translates to "twice-baked".
Zwieback originated in East Prussia, Germany. The Mennonites brought Zwieback to Russia (now Ukraine); during and after the Russian Revolution, they brought Zwieback to Canada and other parts of the world.
When I was a kid, my mom used to buy zwieback toast for whoever was teething, but mainly she made a butter frosting and frosted them and we all ate it! Talk about a weird snack! It's much thicker than melba toast. Probably 1/2" thick or so. VERY hard, so that's why it was good for teething, but what a yucky mess when actually used for teething. I can still see my little sister's face plastered with that goo. Yuck yuck yuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I used to think I could drive safely and text, and then my friend said he stepped into the road, almost in front of me (in town) and I didn't even see him! That made me stop and think. I vowed to never text and drive again. The following year Illinois made it a law never to text and drive. And, you can't talk or text or use your cell phone for anything in a construction zone. I drive through construction as Effingham has 2 main interstates that intersect and they have been widening them to 3 lane each direction for the last 2.5 years. I see people all the time talking and looking down texting. The cops have gotten their share of them, too. They do photos and get them even if the person says they weren't. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, our teenage daughter has my wife's old car that was given to her as a hand me down. It has one of the car phones still attached. Her friends are always surprised by it because they had never seen one before! Years ago I had a friend get a bag phone. It was one of the first ones made. It was pretty exciting when he used it to make a call and he would announce to the person he was calling that he was not calling from a regular phone! J.W. I had a neighbor that worked for the phone company for a long time. I guess the phone company only offered two colors of phones either white or black that you could get. She said when they came out with colors it was so much fun talking with customers because they were so excited by the choices! I vaguely remember two party phones that some of our neighbors had and the single party was an upgrade feature. I remember you could cut into the line if there was an emergency. CE, The whole cell phone thing can be scary when someone is driving. I used to ride my bike more often in the city but have not done it a lot lately because drivers seem so distracted. If you drive around Chicago you will see white bicycles chained to poles where someone died in an accident. There is an annual tour of these bikes. It's pretty sad.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My late hubby traded a 3 wheeler for it, cost 1 dollar a minute to use. He got it for me after I told him at 3am, I was behind some store to find a working pay phone to call the hospital that was paging me. It was darn scary, bad part of town, within a week or so I had a hard wired "cell" in my rx7. Sure made being on call easier. Never used it except to call work, wrote the cost off our taxes. Was not cheap to use lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JW. That was soooo.............. funny. Here are a few famous last words:

1. Pardon me, sir. I did not do it on purpose.
Said by: Queen Marie Antoinette after she accidentally stepped on the foot of her executioner as she went to the guillotine.
2. I can’t sleep
Said by: J. M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan
3. I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
Said by: Humphrey Bogart
4. I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct.
Said by: Dominique Bouhours, famous French grammarian
5. I live!
Said by: Roman Emperor, as he was being murdered by his own soldiers.

6. Dammit…Don’t you dare ask God to help me.
Said by: Joan Crawford to her housekeeper who began to pray aloud.
7. I am perplexed. Satan Get Out
Said by: Aleister Crowley – famous occultist
8. Now why did I do that?
Said by: General William Erskine, after he jumped from a window in Lisbon, Portugal in 1813.
9. Hey, fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow’s paper? ‘French Fries’!
Said by: James French, a convicted murderer, was sentenced to the electric chair. He shouted these words to members of the press who were to witness his execution

Ask a Question