HD Bubbler vs water pump for adding oxygen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never thought of a plant shelves, that maybe be a way to use up some extra tarp space, Thanks for the idea. I installed grommets so I could stake down the liner from falling in, This is my 1st try at a garden pond, just thought the edges would try to migrate to lower level over time.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@chuckinnc Curious as to why you are digging the pond with the liner and water in it. It would never have occurred to me to do it that way, as most of us dig the hole first, install an underlayment, then the liner, then fill with water. Not that there’s anything wrong with the way you are doing it, but it seems counterintuitive. As @Lisak1 mentioned, knowing the dimensions of the finished pond will give you the size of liner to buy. However, you could take your liner measurements (20’x30’) and come up with a finished size to fit the liner you already have. There are several “pond volume calculators” on the internet (search those words) to help figure out what size liner to purchase. Since the liner is THE most important piece of equipment you will have for your pond, you always want to get the BEST one you can afford. But they are pricey. Oh, and almost forgot! Leave extra liner on each side measurement (length and width) so you will have enough to finish off the sides 1) to keep ground water run-off from getting into the pond, and 2) to keep ground water from getting underneath the liner and undermining the excavation.

Once you know the dimensions of the pond, there are also “calculators” the will tell you the approx. amount in gallons. For example, a 10’x5’ pond with an average depth of 2’ is a little over 1000 gallons. Same size pond would need a liner 20’x15’ (they specify that these dimensions are already adjusted to give you 2’ extra in length and width. The calculator I used for this is from the site https://absolute-koi.com/calc2.php

BTW, since you are digging around the liner, be very careful with that excavator, or any other digging tools you use — one slip, and you can easily ruin your liner. And, speaking as an always-worried-parent....please be very careful at having the grands pull the liner back for you to work. I know, I know, it’s not going to happen, but water is heavy — my nightmare would be for a kiddo to slip and get trapped under a liner full of water.

What material is the liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, as I said it's a learning process and my 1st try. Being retired I have the time and equipment so no real cost yet, I have already learned alot from these post, I didn't plan on digging out the area where there was excess tarp, but it worked so next time I will plan better

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got it from a roofing company, it was recommended by a couple who have very large KOI ponds and raise them for supplemental retirement income. I am not trying to do that, just want to set on the sundeck and watch the fish, if they grow or populate too much then I have a farm pond where I can move some of them to.

Ask a Question