hdrpe liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So now that I know you have dealt with it, your personal opinion would be in comparison to epdm and PVC?
Did you seam this liner to a different liner? Or do they stand alone? I'm asking because I will have to seam my addition to the new liner and its been my biggest headache so far

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep most likely. I like it, it was cheaper than epdm even with shipping. Mine was around 54 feet by 38 or so, don't recall off hand, would need to look it up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So now that I know you have dealt with it, your personal opinion would be in comparison to epdm and PVC?
Did you seam this liner to a different liner? Or do they stand alone? I'm asking because I will have to seam my addition to the new liner and its been my biggest headache so far
posting at the same time lol

Mine was stand alone, no seams, one solid peace of liner. I did need to cut and seam the stream because of all the switch backs it had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I only have a small area that is crucial but after the hell this ones given me. I def don't want to have to do that again, the rest of the seam will be above the water and under wall and a bridge. I'm not looking forward to trying to get all the liner I just seamed two weeks ago pulled apart but that one over the other seems to be really important so I guess I am going to be taking liners apart this weekend!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But no issues with that seam?
You mean the stream seams the pond had none. As it wandered down our slope, the upper leg was higher than the lower leg, so a gravity drop. I made sure it overlapped by around a foot and dropped in level and double seam tape single seam tape and my fav pl roofing goop. So triple sealed. No issues at all with them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even pro pond builders use pl roofing goop .Even ponddigger uses it now .They find it stays flexable but it holds great

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with that Meyer, one reason I bought my pond and bog one as a large liner, no seaming!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have seamed two different liners together that's what I have now it was only my foolish mistake that I cut near the waterfall before I had it all figured out and when I went to place the liner back down I had cut it to short, it was crooked and somehow I had bunched it up, so I ended up with a large odd shaped whole and instead of patching over it I somehow patched under lol, I think I was frustrated and feeling foolish because something told me not to cut it, I never cut my liner, I normally will figure out a way to hide it even if its a lot left over, but something had me aggravated that day and I went against myself and here I am three seasons later fighting with the same issue. Luckily I have learned alot from my mistake. My husband comes home everyday expecting everything to be put back together and I keep telling him, " I'm not repeating what I have the past couple years that regardless of how it ends up that it gets done right, I'm not doing anything else til I figure out how to fix it for good" with that said I am def taking the main pond apart and putting a new liner, I know their is no fixing what I have and I'm wasting alot of time, energy and money trying to beat something that isn't worth the hassle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@addy1 your pond is only for fish or do you swim in it also? I have been looking at the natural pools they are really awesome! If I had more land, I would be swimming with the fish lol! What about ducks do they come and hang out in your pond ever? Today we went and picked up three ducks, to add to our chicken coop and eventually to draw the wild duck to my pond or just them would be ok too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do get in the pond quite often, not really swimming the lilies make that hard. The fish nibble on your body. I did see a snake, look like a common garden snake, water snake.

No ducks, I have to keep it high netted against the beautiful herons that fly over every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know ducks are a natural deterrent of the herons, I just learned that from my neighbor, they have a concrete pond in their yard and its kind of shallow in comparison to most ponds, I asked how he kept the herons from eating the fish and he told me that since the ducks come in to eat the seed from their feeders he's never had an issue with heron. We have lots of them all around is so it was surprising. I have had the canopy to cover their view of mine but today I had some of the trees trimmed to allow more sunlight in and I'm hoping Saturday we can cut away a little more, otherwise my lilies are never going to flower! I ordered my liner and now I am thinking of digging it out a little deeper and removing the bog that never was from the main pool, Hopefully I will be working on the landscaping and planting of the bog within a couple weeks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone heard of or used hdrpe liner 24 mil which is supposed to be equal to 45 mil? Or have any background in the different types of synthetics used to make liners that could tell me more about it and if I would be making a mistake to buy it?
I built both my ponds with 24 mil and 30 mil hdrpe liner purchased from American Tilapia on EBay. One pond is 10'x6' and the other is 12'x12' approximately with the smaller having a depth of 2' and larger 3'. Both have shelves. The liner was fairly easy to install. It's stiffer than EDPM but you just need to fold cleats to make it fit. I used silicon to seal the liner to the skimmer box and waterfall with no problems. It is more puncture resistant than EDPM. I estimate by at least 30%. It has essentially no stretch though which is my only concern this winter being in Minnesota where temps can remain below freezing for months and the ground can freeze and heave. Factory seams were leak proof. No leaks after install but I was careful in placing boulders on the liners. This is not as abrasive resistant as EDPM rubber. I estimate EDPM is at least 50% tougher in that area. I tested them both by grinding sharp gravel against them with my boot. HDRPE wore through faster. If you plan to swim a lot in your pond I'd either double line it with HDRPE or go with EDPM instead. For non swimming HDRPE should be tough enough. I used underpayment on both ponds as precaution but think the stuff may not need it especially if you don't plan to swim in your pond. The reinforced fibers that look like ripstop make it pretty tough. American Tilapia on EBay shipped fairly fast. I did use EDPM as underlayment partially beneath the HDRPE of my larger pond because I had some out of an old pond to use and I joined my two ponds by a waterfall using around an 8' by 5' piece of used EDPM also. So far after a month I've had no issues with either material.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I used ppl36 from bend tarp and liner, much prefer it over epdm. Even though it is a little more difficult to work with, i.e. stiffer, it did go into the pond well and it does not get slick like the epdm gets, like ice. I used epdm in my deck pond, that stuff stretches, weighed more and gets slick, it was a little easier to work with, shaping to the sides.

https://www.btlliners.com/ppl-45/
https://www.btlliners.com/water-features-aquascapes/
I was not please by these PPL liner... I installed one a customer purchased and not only was much more costly but less quality and harder to work than HDRPE 30 mills and EPDM 45... We will see how much it last.

Ask a Question