hdrpe liner

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So now that I know you have dealt with it, your personal opinion would be in comparison to epdm and PVC?
Did you seam this liner to a different liner? Or do they stand alone? I'm asking because I will have to seam my addition to the new liner and its been my biggest headache so far
PVC is the worst, a 20 mills will last 1-2 years before brittle and falling apart. EPDM 45 last around 5+ years and does the same, RPE and PPl last longer but hard and costly, HDRPE, HDPE seems to be beter... PPL 36 is costly an the same or less quality than HDRPE but both are easy to install.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was not please by these PPL liner... I installed one a customer purchased and not only was much more costly but less quality and harder to work than HDRPE 30 mills and EPDM 45... We will see how much it last.
I have used it on two big ponds, one in Arizona, still in great shape when I shut down the pond. And here, it has been installed since 2010.
I much prefer it over epdm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So now that I know you have dealt with it, your personal opinion would be in comparison to epdm and PVC?
Did you seam this liner to a different liner? Or do they stand alone? I'm asking because I will have to seam my addition to the new liner and its been my biggest headache so far
Stay far far away from PVC. Don't even think of it. Its temptingly cheaper, but it will dry up and crack. Plus it punctures very easily. Ask me how I know!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone heard of or used hdrpe liner 24 mil which is supposed to be equal to 45 mil? Or have any background in the different types of synthetics used to make liners that could tell me more about it and if I would be making a mistake to buy it?
How did it work out for you? I just ordered the hdrpe and I was worried so please share your thoughts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How did it work out for you? I just ordered the hdrpe and I was worried so please share your thoughts
I used HDRPE to line my bog filter last year (2020). I used a 12 ft. X 20 ft. piece.
Make sure you get HDRPE, the R means reinforced. Don't use plain HDPE

My pond is EPDM.

I liked it. It was very strong.
It's much stiffer than EPDM, so you have to fold it in the corners, like gift wrapping.

I would use it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used HDRPE too; had it in for 9 years and when I expanded, I used the same but it was larger. Definitely stiffer but doable. For most applications, you don't need any underlayment. Heartily recommend it.

Ask a Question