Hello from Baltimore

Reaction score
Hello all you pondy types...
I'm new to the hobby, I have kept a marine aquarium for about 5 years now, but thats the extent of my aquatic hobby experience!
It's taken me about a year and a half to get my pond to this stage, so I didn't rush into it!
My pond is right around the 10,000 gal mark, 28ft x 18 x about 4 ft max depth. I've had water in it for just about 5 weeks now, I have a 150 gal home made skippy type filter, flowing between 6500 and 7000 gal/hr. Its got a skimmer at one end and a waterfall at the other. I fitted today an ionizer for algy control.
Currently I have about 20 small goldfish (max 3") and 2 small koi (3 1/2 - 4")

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif
to our group! That sounds like a real nice sized pond!

Post some pictures when you can.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome posts chaps.... As soon as I can work out how to post pictures I'll upload some!
As you can see, it's still a work in progress!

Attachments

• Pond_1.jpg
    Pond_1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Pond_5.jpg
    Pond_5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 273

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome but you may have a problem with those rocks and the shear size of them keeping the pond clean and not allowing fish to get stuck between them .You will get a lot of build up of gunk and waste matter building up between them also .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice big pond and if you don't mind getting down in there and cleaning in-between the rocks you'll be ok. It will take awhile for the stuff to build up down there unless you are going w/ the big koi............then you may have a problem sooner. Maybe a strong vacuum will help. Some here do have rocks on the bottom and they manage to clean them and like them in their ponds. Me I'm lazier then they and take the easy way out w/ the bare bottom. If you don't want them on the bottom you can always use them around the edge.

Reaction score
Oh dear....I hadn't thought that the rocks may be a maintenance problem! Thats a bit of a bummer....
The pond build was a DIY thing with a bit of advice from a landscaper who did a lot of ponds for people, he was saying the rocks are inportant to reduce the heat gain from the black liner of very hot sunny days....I think I might have to buy a vacuum, it would be a complete pain to get back in there and remove them!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well you will just have to see how much work they are for yourself and decide which is the bigger pain............having to vacuum them or haul them out. Time will tell and you will have to keep us informed on how they do in there. We can learn from you. They do look nice if you can somehow manage to maintain them tho. Lots of times as the pond gets more established you can hardly see the bottom unless you have really clear, clean water all the time. Mine is about 3&1/2 ft deep so I can't tell what's on the bottom most of the time. I like the ease of being able to use a net and just scoop out any debris that accumulates down there. Like I said I'm lazy :D

Reaction score
I am getting a tiny bit of a sinking feeling now! Just have to see how it goes on the sludgy stone front....
J.W do you use any water clarification devices in your pond? I was hoping the Ionizer I fitted yesterday would keep my water clear, or am I suffering from wishful thinking!?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some say the work some say they don't ,I guess it is just like uv's some swear by them and some swear at them .If you don't get the flow right they never work by what I see .I don't have one and really don't feel I need to spend the money out for one .Ionizers only take care of algae and not really make for a clear pond if you still have fish poo and fish spawning and frogs laying eggs every where and just about anything that gets blown into the pond will add to the mess .Leaves blowing in will rot in the bottom and the smell is like opening a sewer if you combine it with fish waste

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will have a more water in your pond for your pretty fish without all those rocks! I had them and removed, never could see them after xx amount of time and the string algae grew like weeds from the rock. Even with a vacuum it will be hard to keep them clean.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No ionizer or u.v in my pond. I don't even have a filter at this time. Got tired of lifting out my heavy home made one and haven't rigged up another one yet. I just net the debris and do partial water changes now and then. I just have goldfish and shubbies,no koi and don't feed everyday. I feed maybe 3 times a week.

Ask a Question