Hello from Ca.

Reaction score
Hello from Ca. I'm in the planning process with my pond. My pond is going to be about 1500 gallons I have ordered the liner and the pump. I'm trying to decide on a UV light and filter. I'm looking at a Pond Pressured 13w Filter UV BIO-FILTER 1500gal Pressurized on Ebay. Is a pressurized bio filter with a UV light a good idea?? I'm so confused when it comes to the filter. Thanks Rebecca

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Parasalwelcome.gif
Rebecca
Can't help ya on the u.v as I don't own one. Would be neat if you could post pix as you dig/build your pond. We can give ya tips as ya go or before ya get started. You can start another thread on your pond.............or maybe you already did.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and hope you have fun doing your pond and post a lot of pics as you go .Pressurized filters just seem to not work as well as they advertise .I would build my own filter first

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.gif

I have read a lot of complaints about pressurized filters. Check the diy section, you can build a good filter.

Reaction score
No real up side to a pressurized filter. Cost more in electric to move the same amount of water thru them. Any fixed submerged media is not great imo. Trickle tower, moving bed, way better.

However, the few pressurized filters I've checked with UV the price was about the same as a standalone UV. So if the price was right you could buy it and throw out the media and just use it as a UV I'd certainly get it. If you go this way you may want to mount the filter some place that if it split open, and they do, that the water would drain back into the pond. The plastic used in most all sub $500 filters are plastic that doesn't last very long sometimes. And of course not have the pump on the bottom so if there's a problem the pond isn't drained.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, UV I wouldn't purchase until I needed it, many ponds simply don't need one run on them to keep clear water. pressure filtration, I don't recommend, for the same cost a DYI filter or a Filter fall unit could be used and would actually house far more beneficial bacteria than a pressure filter rated for the same size pond and probably cost far less to operate in the long run.

Ask a Question