sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is always around 9 and fish seem healthy and pond seems fine so I go with the flow .Why upset the system .If you leave your door unlocked I walk in and sneak pics
pecan said:
You are lucky to have such a great pond included with the house. Enjoy :) Love the pups too :)
BTW, Sissy, did you take a sneak picture of my test kit? it looks just like yours. My ph has always been at 8.0 - 9.0 why I don't know, why is the sky blue LOL? but it has worked. :)

Reaction score
Welcome. I started my pond July 4th 2011. My hubby talked me into putting rocks on the bottom of the pond, said it looked more natural. This summer I took all the rocks off the bottom because I have pine trees close and a mountain maple tree that they dropped needles and leaves into the pond. Trying to get the leaves and needles out of the pond with having rocks on the bottom was a challenge. Now it is so much easier to net that stuff out of the pond.

Reaction score
yea the more i think about it the more i want to take most of them out except i was thinking of making a couple little caves just for some places to hide/play

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your fish will adjust to the ph, the thing that hurts them is when it swings up and down. Mine sits low, 7ish.

Reaction score
thats what i have read everywhere and thats why i havent used anything to change it i have just been trying to keep it as clean as possible and let it do everything by it self naturally

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
caves are great I have some on my plant ledges and just put the plants on top of the rock roof of them to hide them more this way fish have a place to hide from predators .Plus it gives some of my plants places to sit higher out of the water after i raised the sides up .Makes a great cave in the middle of the pond to sit your pump also that way if you get a hose leak it will not drain the pond to the bottom and kill your fish .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond sounds like it is doing just fine and don't worry about that # for your ph. Ph can go up and down too from morning to night. Yours is just fine and if your fish are doing well then that's a good sign. My pond is 3&1/2' deep so I can't really see the bottom much and I have plants that float over the top in the Summer. I don't have any rocks on my pond bottom as I find it easier to net out the muck that accumulates down there w/o them getting in my way. You can leave a few down there for hiding spots and just work around them. Well you can leave as many as you like really but just makes it harder to clean. Some muck down there is ok to leave tho as fish like to poke around at it and it shouldn't harm your water if not horrendous amts of it. Love all your nice pix of your pond and it looks very nice w/ clear water and happy fishes :razz:

Reaction score
Once it warms up out side i was going to pull out the majority of them out cause its a big pain in the butt to clean everything there are a tone of rocks in there i do look forward to the day when it is easy to clean. I do have a question i just got some underwater lights a little while ago and was wondering if there is a way to attach them to the liner or if yall have any good ideas on how to mount them i just have them laying in there with rocks holding them in place and here is a pic of it at night its with a cell phone so its alittle hard to see IMAG0091.jpgIMAG0092.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what kind of lights and they need super sealed as everyone know on here they leak .If they get hot they will make the water hotter during the summer .I went with down lights much nicer than a light glaring up at you .You could still tuck some rocks around them to hold them in place .Remember when you pull your rocks don't pull them all at once you don't want to release to much stuff into the water at one time .You may need extra filtering after you take a few out to pick up all the fine stuff floating .My lights are attached to the under side of my bridge and at my water falls .I think it is much clearer looking down as you don't see the fine floating stuff .Addy has hers in the pond because she has cameras on her pond and in the water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A big LED light shining down on each end of the pond would solve that and give you light out there for you to see .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don't know why some of my pics when I load them from MY MEDIA do that but ever since the update they take the full screen up .

Reaction score
the lights i got are jeboa 15x 12 LED Pond Lights 12V (Low Voltage) with auto on/off sensor. they have a weighted base on them if you put them on the base standing like they are supposed to, they point straight up you can adjust them for a slight angle but not much so i laid them in there side ways so they point straight across i think it would lokk awesome if there was a way to mount them on the wall most of my rock stick out far enough on the sides to hide them

Ask a Question