Hello from Indiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by blessedfamily, Mar 21, 2011.

1. blessedfamily

sissy sissy

I really think they are easier to take care of .They are about 3 years old now and I love the way there tails just float around as they swim .The white was 6 dollars and I guess I had to pay more for him because of the striped tail .I think I paid by counting the stripes 50 cents a strip lol.He really has some pretty ones when I was there last week ,wish I could get more now .He had some pretty brown ones they almost looked like a chocolate bar

sissy, Mar 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. blessedfamily

CountryEscape

I need to not even go near a pet shop with koi, because I will stare and pick and buy, but not have sufficient place to put them. My 55 gal is supposed to be goldfish free when the outside pond goes in. LOL But, guess since I have 5 in there now, with other fish, could get a couple more . . . if the price was right and they were SMALL.

CountryEscape, Mar 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. blessedfamily

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Laughing, countryescape, CONTROL! lol

addy1, Mar 25, 2011
  4. blessedfamily

CountryEscape

Addy, Yes, control is the name of the game. LOL I got to this forum from a man who is a member that lives in Indiana, and he has told me about a place closer to IL that his family runs, garden shop, that will open in I think he said closer to May, and his fish will be added to the pond fish for sale! I'm shooting for that time frame with getting my pond started and well on it's way, to go look and see what is available! I lay awake at night and "build" my pond, which now has visions of stream as well! Oh boy, better get busy with drawing this weekend, and see what I can REALLY build! Going to be a challenge, but I'm always up for a challenge.

CountryEscape, Mar 25, 2011
  5. blessedfamily

CometKeith

CountryEscape, Remember less is more. The fewer fish you have and the smaller the fish the easier it will be for you to properly cycle your pond and build up beneficial bacteria and create a natural eco-cycle that will sustain the good health of your fish. I would suggest to take it really slow with adding fish and when you get more experienced you can add more. Adding a lot of fish to a pond is a temptation a lot of us had when we first started ponding, but the results are not always good due to ammonia spikes, low O2 levels, PH issues, etc., not to mention problems with the construction and design of the pond itself.

CometKeith, Mar 25, 2011
  6. blessedfamily

CountryEscape

Thanks, Keith! Always good to have a friendly reminder that need to be patient, get small, let them grow and take things one step at a time. Guess we all want the pond up and running and full capacity, and that is not the best. I've learned that with my aquarium! Wanted to fill it with fish, but have gotten them slow over the last 3 weeks, and hopefully have done things properly. Getting a small taste of water changes, PH, KH and ammonia levels to watch, so I will be little more versed when the pond is ready to accept fish, after it has had time to acclimate and build bateria load! I'm patient, just anxious! :) And, unlike some, I will be stocking it with small fish, as I enjoy watching things grow much more than buying big that is close to full grown. :)

CountryEscape, Mar 28, 2011
  7. blessedfamily

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I like small fish and slow adding of fish. It is fun to watch "your" fish grow big.

addy1, Mar 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question