Hello from Marriottsville, MD

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to build/install a small garden pond early next Spring... any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a fairly good landscaper but new to garden ponds. I have a lot of experience with indoor fish-tanks but none w/outdoor goldfish ponds. My kids, really, really want a pond and I've decided to make it a spring project.

Thanks for all of the help ahead of the time.

Scott

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome scott and we will be glad to give you a shove into ponding and you can learn a lot on here to help you make a successful pond from the start .I sure your children are going to love helping and great for bonding time

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

welcome glad you joined from one marylander to another marylander

That is not that far from us. I have an abundance of pond plants if you need any once you get your pond up and running, and more than enough fish (not koi)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.... I too am a pretty good gardener and you will truly enjoy this project, take some pics as you go and share with us.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You'r welcome, the plants produced like crazy last year. Have more lilies than I want or need now and other plants.

Reaction score
You'r welcome, the plants produced like crazy last year. Have more lilies than I want or need now and other plants.

since we are so close.. may have to bring my kids up to see your pond.. i'm sure I could learn a lot by chatting about yours... thank you..

Scott

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Home all of the time, come anytime, just let me know to make sure I am home.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Scott, after you see addy's pond you will want to make your pond as large as you can handle. Hers is so cool you are gonna fall in love w/ it. She's got cameras on it and other parts of her property 24/7 so we here can all view the ponds, streams, bird feeders whenever we like and even watch her fish underwater! Oh and her crazy pole climbing squirrels are a real hoot to watch too!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Scott! Word of advice, Go big as it will save you a lot of money! Seriously, You won't believe how many first time pond builders want bigger ponds within the first year, Most of with experience have made ours bigger many times over the years and each time it cost more than the last! second Go deep as 3' or 4' minimum 4'-5' even better, in one area, this will greatly help keep the pond cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. anything less than 3' in most of the country and you'll pretty much be making indoor arrangements for the fish. Again, extra uneeded additional cost. Third, be sure and check out the DYI section, There are a lot of really good filter designs that work very good for most applications that can cost a fraction of the cost of a actual premade type filter. Good luck and please post pics as the project developes. BTW, wish I could make it up to see Addy's pond, She would probably have to get the sguirrels to chase me off by the end of the day! LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BTW, wish I could make it up to see Addy's pond, She would probably have to get the sguirrels to chase me off by the end of the day! LOL

They would fishin, they are pissed, ran out of food in the suet feeders, were stomping their lil feet at me last night. Making more today before they knock on the door demanding an entertainment refund.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I feed the birds here, I have one or two squirrels that come in the yard every now and then. Not often though with the dogs out there. Anyway, It's starting to get cold here and icing up the last few nights so I took some bird seed and put out. I must have gotten distracted and left the seed container outside. Well the squirrels took it as Free invitation to a ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET! Not only did they eat all the seeds they ate most of the container as well! Then they destroyed our swing and stole all the stuffing out of the cushions, ripped apart two planters and got all the moss out of them for their next. This morning they are outside just a barking, I'm still trying to figure out if they are laughing like the birds on the windex commercial or are the chattering and coming up with a plan of attack like the guy that's suppose to be a raccoon in the Ins. commercial. ( HEhehe, will attack from the attic today and really show this guy what kind of damage we can do!!!!) Scared I'm going to walk in the house and find some armed squirrels demanding more seed for ransom! LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They were on a ........he must have hid some more food somewhere.................hunt fishin! They are gathering the troops right now to do a flank attack!

animated-gifs-squirrels-047.gif

I have a container for the bird seed, keep it outside, 50lbs at a time. It is hard plastic, seals well. But you sure can see where the squirrels have tried to chew through the lid, little bite marks.

I keep our cushions in a container unless we are using them, I know the critters like to get stuffing to make their nests comfortable.

Ask a Question