Hello from Saint Petersburg Florida

Reaction score
Hi folks! Just joined your forum today and it looks like I'm going to be busy reading for some time, as I have LOTS to learn. I'm kinda here for a different reason than most probably are, but this looked to be the place where I can find answers and "how tos" to my up coming project. Allow me to explain - I'll try to keep it short!

We have a couple rottweilers, and our girl (avatar is puppy pic) loves to swim. We usually take her down to one of the dog beaches here in in Saint Pete, but our vet has recommended we quit doing this. She has lymphoma and her imune system is now weakened, so any bacteria in the water could impact her very badly.

So, a swimming pool seemed like the perfect solution. I found a nice 17'x9' dog proof pool for around $2,000 and was going to get that until I started to work on the permits necessary aspect. To keep this brief(ish), we can't put a pool in our backyard for various reasons. BUT, we can put in a pond. Go figure...

Guess who gets fo dig/build a "pond" now?

Legally, it can only be 24" deep before a permit is required. I may be fudging on that a bit, but she won't really need much deeper than that for swimming. Planning on 15'+ by 8' wide. Roughly 2200 gallons plus or minus. Going to be half in the ground and half above.

I ordered a 45mil EPDM liner and the same sized underlayment today which is 15' by 25', so there's no turning back now! I'll take pictures for a future "This was really a dumb idea!" thread later.

I am still serching for the right pump/filter setup, which isn't as easy as I had figured it would be. My problem here is I want swimming pool quality water here, but have yet to find the right equipment. Problem being most systems are either built for much higher flow (GPM) than I need, or with motors big enough to run a 20,000 gal pool. I'll find just the right setup given time.

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to say "Howdy" and thank you for all the knowledge that I'm going to take away from here. My wife and I figure that we will turn this into a fish pond someday, but we hope that our puppy girl is around for sometime yet to enjoy it as her pool.

No doubt, I will be back with questions along the way.

Take care,
Bob

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
HMMMM GUESSING NOT ME SO MUST BE YOU :cheerful: I have chihuahuas and a pit bull and kiddie pool works for them .Jow about there claws when they get in and out will the liner hold up .I had a 45 mil liner get slashed by a new neighbors lab who fell in

Reaction score
Hi Bob, i am a new guy here as well, i have learned a lot from the great people here in a real short time.

First thing i thought of when i read your post was exactly what Sissy said, about, claws and liner.
I am glad you care enough for your dog(s) to pay a good dollar, and some hard work to allow them to still have enjoyment of the water.

I don't know enough about a pond for your dogs, but i can pretty much bet there is someone here who can helf you out.

Shawn.

Reaction score
sissy said:
HMMMM GUESSING NOT ME SO MUST BE YOU :cheerful: I have chihuahuas and a pit bull and kiddie pool works for them .Jow about there claws when they get in and out will the liner hold up .I had a 45 mil liner get slashed by a new neighbors lab who fell in
Not to try to derail Bob's thread, but, do you have any pictures of your Chihuahuas? that is what we have, just one though, in my avatar.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! We do so much for our pets, and your pup is lucky to have you!

My first thought, also, was claws slashing the liner. Maybe you can build a ledge all around -- something to protect the liner and also give your girl plenty of entry/exit places.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from Plymouth UK I think you'll find all you need in this website to become successful fish keepers , do be a fraid to ask even if you think it's a silly question remember weve all been there and done it .
Many including ourselves are more than willing to help with any problems that you may run across .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Capt'n Bob!

Here is a good short intro to hydrotherapy for dogs, for those who might be curious.

We had a pool at our house in CA and our girl enjoyed swimming to and from the side of her pool and her float. Not so much of a diver like some of the dogs in the video.

A few things come to mind, first - EPDM would not have been the liner of choice I would recommend. To easily ripped by dog nails. Rather than buying new HDPE liner, your other choice might be to mortar over the EPDM liner. Waterbug who posts on here has written some how-to's on mortaring over a liner.

If she needs to avoid bacteria in water, then I doubt you will be having a fish pond. More likely, you build it like a pond but then treat it with chlorine like a pool.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Now this tearing of the liner thing has me a little worried. I have planned on building a floating ramp for her to get in and out with, so hopefully, she won't be inclined to getting near the sides. I may have to MacGyver something to beef up the liner areas that she can reach. There will also be a shelf on one end so she can just lie in the water if she doesn't care to swim.

It looks like I now I need to research HDPE liner and see if that's a better material for my project. I'm sure I could always use the EPDM liner I already have on the way for another project someday if I find something more suited to my pool building needs.

"If she needs to avoid bacteria in water, then I doubt you will be having a fish pond. More likely, you build it like a pond but then treat it with chlorine like a pool."

That's exactly my intention. Due to easement restrictions and other permitting hassles, I am limited to a "pond" rather than allowed to install a pool. More than one way to skin City Hall :razz:

I've spent hours reading here so far with much more to take in. One undeniable thing I've gleaned so far is: I wish Waterbug lived nextdoor!

Still searching the options for pumps & filters, but I can do that at night. Nice day outside to do some preliminary digging!

Thanks again to all

Reaction score
Cody says - this is the worst pool ever!

no%20water.jpg

(one day of digging - the center will be dug out some, but the trench will be for footings)

Maybe she outta try being out there digging in the Florda sun.

Decided to go with block construction and make it a saltwater pool. Maybe I'll list the liner I ordered on Craig's List someday, as this pool is going to be miles away from a Koi pond by the time I'm finished. Looks like I also get to reroute some sprinkler lines *sigh*

I'll stop back by and post a picture or two when it's finished.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Your dog is very lucky to have such a thoughtful and devoted owner - and I love that photo of her!!

Reaction score
Hi again all,

Well, it turned out pretty far from a Koi pond, but I got my inspiration to start this project here, and I said I'd stop back by when finished, so here I am.

I'll save ya'll a bunch of boring details, although much of this build was probably similar to some Koi pond construction.

I ended up going the concrete block route and used Sani-Tred products (thumbs up) to waterproof the block covered by an epoxy paint.

Here are a few pictures of the build along the way and some obligatory puppy pictures.

Thanks to this forum for the information that I picked up using the search to get this project started!

Went from a hole in the ground
Pool-5.jpg

to a bunch of cement blocks
Pool-9.jpg

to the travertine coping & PermaFlex coating
Sani-Tred%20-1.jpg

to painted with tiled steps
Pool-E.jpg

with pretty basic plumbing
Pool-H.jpg

to a happy puppy
Pool-J.jpg

Pool-L.jpg

to a very happy puppy (and wife!)
Pool-18.jpg

Thanks again and I'll be back if I ever decide to convert it to a fish pond!
Take care -
Bob

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a pretty, spoiled, well loved dog! Great job you did there

Ask a Question