Hello from Seattle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I was just browsing the net and came across a thread from this forum. I snooped around and it looked fun so I joined. I have a small front yard pond with 3 waterfalls, only about 500 gallons. It's not near as nice as some of the ones I have seen on here. We built our house 11 years ago and had a pond installed and stocked with Koi. I joined to local Koi society and we were doing garden tours and when we came to my house they were shabunkins not koi lol. I will attach a photo of my pond below. The water fall is not on as we are having a problem I will post more about later. I have 9 floating gardens. One of which I plant 200 dahlias. I signed up to get my master gardeners next Janruary 2017. Thank you taking the time to read.
image.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi @KayC and another former Seattle native here. I love the Shubunkins as they are not as brutal in the pond as koi. If you have plants in your pond forget about them if you get koi. In that size pond you could only have a couple or maybe 3 at the most as they do get humongous. Shubunkins are so pretty too and they don't get as big. I wish I had all shubbies but I started out w/oj goldfish and they are the majority in my pond. If you are not fussy about what kind of koi you get you can find them at the pet stores and even some Wal-marts.

Hi to you too fellow Washingtonian @JBailey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes. I had just put the drain rocks around the pond the day I took the photo. Now I am trying to plant around it to "soften" it up. Any planting suggestions for me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've learned on here that my pond is really not big enough for koi so I will stick with shabunkins. What about comets? I seen a beautiful yellow butterfly type photo of a comet on line.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've learned on here that my pond is really not big enough for koi so I will stick with shabunkins. What about comets? I seen a beautiful yellow butterfly type photo of a comet on line.
I had comets for years, they will eat from hand and some have striking colors. Mine got 6-7 inches, one evening a raccoon came and ended our relationship..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really like little fat fantails they are slow and if raised right they will also eat out of your hand and even swim into your hand if they trust you to get a belly rub .

Ask a Question