Hello from Shenandoah Valley :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by humbirdlover, Aug 27, 2012.

1. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

I used to love NJ because we had them al over but my fav. was the englishtown flea market .Also in NJ there were lots of farm produce stands well not here . :sad: I went to the Bristol one and man was that crowded.This is the one at hillsville and looked out my side door this morning , I heard the alarm go off and this intruder was a welcome one

Attached Files:

sissy, Aug 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

Aw, thanks J.W. for the cute welcome with the hummies :) Mine will be leaving sometime around Labor Day, sure will miss the little guys. I enjoy them so much..

humbirdlover, Aug 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

OK, another update, I swear I think my middle name is "Murphy". Bad luck with the UV/Bio Filter. It has to be returned , UV light not working and too much involved to send it to the manufactorer, have them see if it's the bulb, or electrical. As it turns out it was way too small, plus instructions said to only have 50% of pond volumn going in so had to split the flow from my pump, and some other issues. But I guess I'm back to square one, and will try to build my own, again. Water still yucky, and more now that I've been in there messing, but the fish don't seem to mind, LOL A friend of mine did share another big clump of hornwort, so didn't anchor this bunch down, just let it float. I did check out Springdale Gardens website, Sissy, and saw some plants I really would like to have.I just need to keep reading all the ideas on the bio filter, and come up with one that would work for me. The one I built before, was so big, and the outlet was up so far that it was impossible to "hide" So back to the drawing board..

humbirdlover, Aug 29, 2012
  4. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

I always figure out lets at half way up and thats why i use the pipe on the tank adapter 3 inch pipe with a 2 inch outlet to the pond this way I can put the water in the top and it goes up the pipe and back out and is at least 4 inches from the bottom for gunk to settle but seems since I have been putting plants in my filters there has been no gunk to clean out of the bottom .So plants in the filter rule /Oh and if you don't mind leaving the tank adapter in you can buy a screw in plug and use pipe tape to make it water tight 'I bought my tank adapters at pet mountain.com and the new tank i am putting in is oval and going to use 2 tank adapters and this way i have more room for plants .

sissy, Aug 30, 2012
  5. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

Oh my gosh just went out to check my pond and darn it up in the waterfall what do i see but fishy babies .Oh darn all are yellow and white .Do I have any friends left to pawn them off on ,bless them with :razz:

sissy, Aug 30, 2012
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  6. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

I only have 1/2" hose coming from my pump right now. Other than when I was trying out that bio filter, I've used an old timey hand put for the "waterfall" It has a prefilter attached with a piece of hose inbetween. so with a 450 gal pond, how big a filter do I really need? If I can't use my current pump for a bio filter and my water feature, I could always use a smaller pump just for the "water feature" Might be getting another pump soon anyway, mine has stopped two evenings in a row :( So back to the filter, you're saying run the pipe from the pump in from the top of the bio filter, and have the outlet down father on the filter tank?

humbirdlover, Aug 30, 2012
  7. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is how i do mine and the reason is with the finer algae cells nothing will pick them up and quilt batting will and the extra basket you see on top of my filter catches all that stuff .I usually put mine little over half way up for how I have mine set up .You have a smaller pond and you could get a waterfall filter like they have at springdale I think it is around 25 dollars .It is a waterfall weir with a tank on the back part for filter media .I use the half way up plus 2 inches more
    [​IMG]
    .You could use a tote for yours much cheaper and simpler this pick is a heavy duty tote an adapter and it is screw in and you can use screw on pvc and elbows

sissy, Aug 30, 2012
  8. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

The one on this tote is up higher because I was going to dry stack the stone in front of it to hide the outlet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

sissy, Aug 30, 2012
  9. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

Thanks so much for posting pics, and I really like the way you stacked the stone for the falls :) I'll probably be dreaming about filters in my sleep tonight..Will try to get some pics taken and posted so peeps can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks so much for your help :)

humbirdlover, Aug 30, 2012
  10. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

Yay, found a water plant place and only about 20 miles from me! Got a Bog Bean, variegated water iris, water clover and a clump of dwarf cattails. Now just to figure out how I'm going to arrange them. No progress on the bio filter yet, but still mentally working on it :)

humbirdlover, Sep 1, 2012
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  11. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

always better to picture it before you buld it .It all depends on how you want the water in and how you want it to go out .I know my neighbors goes in the top and comes out 4 inches from the bottom ,I know I built it it was easier on hers to hide the top than the bottom .

sissy, Sep 1, 2012
  12. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

That sounds good, just would rather have the outlet down farther, but wasn't sure if that was possible. I have a question. Last evening I was reading thru some threads and someone had posted a list of plants, with pics and info on them. I can't find it anywhere..Plus is there a way to post to a member so they would be sure to see it?

13. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

yes pm them click on there avatar and you can private message them and to find a list of plants for the pond .I know it was on here in the aquatic plant section and it was last spring and last year usually someone brings it up once .But a lot of the plants you plant in the ground can go into the pond if they are for wet conditions and most plant them in kitty litter ,wash all the dirt off the roots

sissy, Sep 1, 2012
    humbirdlover likes this.
  14. humbirdlover

j.w I Love my Goldies

Neat you found a place pretty close to you h-bird. I remember that list and wonder if it was addy that posted the plant list?

j.w, Sep 1, 2012
  15. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

I was surprised to find it not only close to me, but she still had a good selection. I restrained myself and only bought a few, but once I get my shelf organized, I can add some more. I'll see, I think it was addy, but can't find it. Is duckweed a good thing? Her plants had that in them, and now in my pond, LOL I also saw a really pretty dark burgundy leafed elephant ear, that I think would look great in a pot in the shady corner. I know in our zone, I would have to bring it in for the winder, but it was sooo pretty!

16. humbirdlover

j.w I Love my Goldies

Duckweed never lasts long in my pond cuz my fishy pigs gobble it all up faster than it can grow. I have a tub that I grow some in w/ no fish in there and I dole it out once in awhile to the piggies :razz:
    Yep you can bring the Taro (elephant ear) in and grow it in the house all winter or let it die back and just store the tuber in a cool place like a garage or basement in some straw or newspaper in a box.........can't remember exactly how ya do it but it can be done.
    I had some and I just grew it in the house and it got kinda spindly but once it went outside in the Spring it grew back nicely.

j.w, Sep 1, 2012
  17. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

I didn't notice them eating what floated out of the pots, but maybe they just didn't know what it was, LOL Might wait til Spring and get one of the Taros then, we always consider Labor Day week end the end of Summer around here :( BTW, are you in Arlington, Washington State or the Arlington/Washington area? Still haven't taken any pics yet, things are kinda torn up out there now, was moving rocks, but will get some soon :)

18. humbirdlover

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/7417-over-wintering-pond-plants-some-of-the-common-ones/

here you go humbirdlover

The taro, I just let the leaves die, dug them up, cut off the roots, let them dry outside for a week or so (was not freezing weather) then put them in the basement in some saw dust type material. Once it warmed stuck them outside back in the pond, bog and a pot

I just picked up some bog bean this year, hoping it handles winter well, it should rated at a lower zone than we are.

addy1, Sep 1, 2012
  19. humbirdlover

j.w I Love my Goldies

I live in Washington state...........city of Arlington.............Pacific N.W where it rains, rains, and rains but lately nice and warm and sunny!
    Once they figure out how yummy that duck weed is there will be no stopping them. They will pork out on it big time.

j.w, Sep 1, 2012
  20. humbirdlover

CountryEscape

Welcome HBL! If you have pics of what your old filter looked like, what your pond looks like, and the area around it, you would be surprised how many will jump in here and give you suggestions or ideas, or what they have done with that same type of pond! Pictures help in many ways. Even if you don't like what you have, someone might have a suggestion as to how to "fix" it that would be far easier than starting from scratch! I even had a basement pond for the winter, in a kiddie pool, talk about hillbilly looking, but the filter on the top of the pool, on a box, worked perfectly so I didn't have to worry if the water would drain over the edge and not back into the pond. Babies that I grew out in there enjoyed getting into their new "digs" this spring, too! Good luck!!!

CountryEscape, Sep 1, 2012
    humbirdlover likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question