Hello from Shenandoah Valley :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by humbirdlover, Aug 27, 2012.

1. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

Oh OK, reason I ask, is Arlington, Va would be not too awful far from me, and I have a really good e-buddy that lives in Lynnwood, Washington...Oh you were right, they do like the duckweed, LOL I dole it out to them in small ammounts :)

humbirdlover, Sep 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. humbirdlover

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh yep Lynnwood, we used to live there also and it's about 35 - 40 miles south of us. I can find duck weed around the wild ponds and ditches out here but now that I have it in a container pond away from my fish I too can just throw some into them now and then for a treat. I found some Azolla (think it's also called Fairy Moss) also in a wild pond near one of our bike trails here. That stuff is pretty neat looking and I put some in w/ the duck weed and it seems to be taking over. I found that the duck weed and Azolla will survive here over winter if I put some good organic gunky soil in the bottom of the container. The plants thrive in there now. I think the fish will eat the Azolla also cuz it seems to disappear when put in the big pond also.

j.w, Sep 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

I hope it's ok to hit "quote" that's the way to respond directly back to the person? Anyway, I totally dismantled the bio filter that I built last year. It was in a big black container like J.W.'s, and I only have a 450 gallon pond. That wasn't the main reason I took it out, tho. There was no way to hid that big thing, and the outlet was way up on the tub, and no way to make the big black hose look "natural". I even built a trough type thing out of old weathered boards, to lay the hose in, and it was still ugly, LOL. Plus I found out later that one major flaw was I didn't have that part on it that would stop the water from draining back into my pond, when the pump was turned off. I have a pre-filter on my pump that needs to be cleaned quite often, and I have to turn the pump off to do that. So a couple weeks ago I ordered a bio/UV filter from a company, that was another mistake. It was so small and cheap, no way those little foam pads would have done anything good, and the uv bulb wasn't working. It got sent back to the compnay, so now I have nothing as far as a bio filter, just the prefilter to the pump. And yes, I do need to get some pics posted :( Sorry to write a novel, :)

humbirdlover, Sep 2, 2012
  4. humbirdlover

CountryEscape

Write a novel? I feel very guilty of doing that, so I will try to keep this short! The pre-filter gets clogged fast as it is the only thing keeping gunk from going through your pump. If your pump is small, or more important, if the line from your pump is small, then it cannot handle much gunk. Move it off of the bottom of your pond, if possible. That way it will still gather stuff that is free floating, and send it through your filter. Try this: Get a piece of floating insulation board. Put a small container on top of it, run your line into the small container (which should have holes in it to drain the water back into the pond) and put quilt batting in the container. That way you will have a much better filtration system temporarily and won't have to clean your pre-filter as often. I hate having to pull my pump. In fact, besides swishing the stuff off of my pumps when I'm in the ponds grooming the lilies, I have not pulled them since spring, unless I had to change the line or something. I have them on a milk crate. Not sure if that would make your pump too shallow, though. Even putting it on a flat rock would keep it off of the bottom. And, the filter system I described is very basic, but will do a load of good. Get a roll of the quilt batting, maybe $5 or so worth, and have a double or triple layer for the water to run through, and have a second pad ready when the first one is filled with gunk and not going through it any longer, you can swap them out. Then, as Sissy has told all of us to do, rinse out the first set, hang it out to dry (which will help kill any algae) and if you put it in a bucket of water with some peroxide in it, that will also help kill any algae cells. Then keep swapping them out with the one being used. Good luck!

CountryEscape, Sep 2, 2012
  5. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

well back from hillsville and crowded as always and was eating at my fav. place there with lots of other people and all us talking a mile a minute and really nice man walks over and sits down to join in and find he lives in Tennessee and he owns 2 farms 1 cattle 47 acres and 1 horse 22 acres and was showing us all pics on his cell and amazing there were people from PA ,NY ,NJ,Ohio,West Virginia ,NC and SC and we were all swapping funny stories and showing pics and before I knew it 2 hours had passed.How great it was and the e-mails started flying .I will have to upload all the pics but think I took over 200 .Yep that is the best way to clean a pond and funny how many had small fish ponds also .I was sharing secrets and showing them pics on my camera .Started to rain on my way home but still managed to find bargains there .

sissy, Sep 2, 2012
  6. humbirdlover

CountryEscape

I just heard that every year, the Sunday after our County Fair ends on Saturday, there is this huge swap meet! You cannot buy anything, you HAVE to swap something for what you want. I guess it's big, everyone from backwoods grannies to uptown teenagers go to it to swap! People make brownies and other baked goodies, bring goats, chickens, pigs, other farm animals, one guy even had Hustler magazines he wanted to swap! Guess it's a hoot to go and watch and see what people leave with.
    There is a huge festival that is like what you were at, but maybe more commercialized, but it's called the Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana. My sister is going to come for a long weekend, and we are going to go to it for a couple of days, stay overnight at a hotel, as it's probably a 2.5 hr. drive. Will be a fun sister weekend! That's where I get the 1,000 and 1,200 thread count bed sheet sets for $20 or less every year! My first set I got 3 years ago, and they are still like new. I will get more this year, too, as friends find out I'm going and send money, "Get as many as you can get for this!" Friend sent $75 last year, hoped to get 2 sets, I got her 5! Guy made me a deal on the last set. LOL

CountryEscape, Sep 2, 2012
  7. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

I miss the great times you have at those things and hope you have great time with your sister .

sissy, Sep 2, 2012
  8. humbirdlover

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

That sounds like fun, the outdoor market! sissy, I saw that picture back a couple pages in NJ, boy that looked packed with people and cars, how would you even find a parking spot! Thank goodness Medicine Hat is not that large so it easy to drive around..., must be getting old!!

callingcolleen1, Sep 3, 2012
  9. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

you said you built your neighbors filter? How did you do it to have the water coming out down that far?

humbirdlover, Sep 3, 2012
  10. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

That town is small but lots of parking and 5 dollars town will not let them charge more .I have the hose from the pump running into the top like mine and tank adapter is about 3 inches from the bottom ,just enough for gunk to build up on th bottom with a ball valve out the back to clean out the bottom .You can put a tank adapter any where as long as you have at least a couple of inches at the bottom for gunk to fall to be cleaned out .Tank adapters I get have screw on for pipes to fit to run out to the pond .I can take a pic of tank adapter and fittings later .

sissy, Sep 3, 2012
  11. humbirdlover

Fishylove

Country I've been there! Covered bridge is soo much fun!

Fishylove, Sep 3, 2012
    CountryEscape likes this.
  12. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

OK, so the water is flowing down thru the media. Then I could put in a "bulkhead" thingy and the hose adapter with the barbs and run the hose back to the pond. I think I like that idea better than the up flow kind, thank you!!! I'm wanting to put the filter back away from the pond, and this way I think would work better:)

humbirdlover, Sep 3, 2012
  13. humbirdlover

rebelangel_3733

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how I built mine and it's worked great at keeping my water crystal clear! I painted the tub brown and cover it with a vining plant...and plants all around it so as to hide it.

rebelangel_3733, Sep 3, 2012
    CountryEscape likes this.
  14. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

I had mine like that but you stir up the dirt on the bottom and then tried to put it on top of the grate with a brick under it but it would vibrate loose and crack the grate .I even tried zip tieing it but it loosened the tank adapter every week or so and the silicon would allow the water to leak out around it .I am going to maybe try it again on the new tank and see if it happens again and can always go back to the other way .I only had 1 grate and could not buy more and now finally home depot carries them .

sissy, Sep 3, 2012
  15. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

OK, now I'm really confused :( I was reading in the DIY section, and some think the type of filter I was planning on building, works and some say they are a complete waste of time. Most of the explainations are over my head, LOL Just when I seem to have it all worked out, I end up back at square one? Help :)

humbirdlover, Sep 4, 2012
  16. humbirdlover

CountryEscape

Trust me. If Sissy says it will work, follow her directions and she will lead you well. As she said, the trick is keeping the outlet pipe at least 3" from the bottom of the tub, so the much can stay down there. I suspect there is some type of screen/mesh/filtering between the bottom and the pipe, though. That may be the key. Maybe you and Sissy should talk sometime, instead of trying to figure it out here. She's one heck of a great lady, IMO, all that she does on her own and all that she builds and figures out! If it doesn't work, she will tell you, too! Good luck! But, never give up. :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

CountryEscape, Sep 4, 2012
    humbirdlover likes this.
  17. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

Remember your pond may be smaller than the ones that are saying it does not .This filter idea works if it is made to the right size remember size counts . :razz: no I will hear from Haro on that one .Thanks for the vote of Ce .Thats why I said i feel as my fish get bigger I needed bigger filters that hold more plants and more filter media .My choice was lava rock and yes it is heavy but I put it in laundry bags from the dollar store .But found this year after putting plants in the filter I do not have to worry .The new filter will be that tank with 2 cut to the shape of the tank, plastic lighting grates sitting on bricks to keep the grate off the bottom and then whatever media you want ,(mine lava rock) and then filter mesh and then the plants .Home depot here is the only one who sells the lighting grates here and they where out of stock and they will call me when they come in .Filter must be bigger than the fish load in the pond in your case I think one of those plastic barrels will work .It just may be a matter if the tank adapter will sit flush once the hole is drilled out for it ,thats why I wanted oval tank ..I will go back to maybe rebels but will see when I get to there .The only difference i would have 2 of those .

sissy, Sep 4, 2012
  18. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

if you are handy you could get a planter and build one of these cost me about 10 dollars to build and around here for one smaller they want 60 dollars a piece and they screw the rings to each other so they are heavy and hard to move .I make them so when you get them where you want them you just have to restack the rings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sissy, Sep 4, 2012
  19. humbirdlover

humbirdlover

Thank you CE, for responding..That's why I came to this forum, to learn from folks that had "been there, don't that" Not a bunch of do this, do that, and saying it will work, but no experience of if it will. And thank you Sissy. I'm going to stick to your idea of how it should be built, but will have to use the old tub, I think it's 35 gallon, until I can get an oval or rectangular container for next Spring. I think our Lowe's does have the lighting grates, but the main thing will be finding the adapters, etc for my tubing. If I use the 1/2 flexible tubing that is currently coming out of my pump, then I need about 2" adapter and tubing for the outlet, right?

humbirdlover, Sep 4, 2012
  20. humbirdlover

sissy sissy

do you have a tractor supply .They are not cheap there but that is where i found my first ones and remember when you buy it to get the other fittings then also .Explain what you want to do and they will know the parts you will need .@ inch one at tractor supply was like 20 dollars but you could use the 1 1/2 also for a pump under 100 gph .As long as it is low enough to pick up the water .I pump water into the tank with a smaller hole in it and see how far the water will go up in the tank also .The pipe coming out of mine is a piece of pvc and a elbow .You can buy short pieces of pvc .I used silicon but if you get a tank adapter that has rubber washers you really do not need it .I used a little spray cooking oil to make the tank adapter screw on easier .The oil will not harm the fish ,it is such a small amount .Call plumbing supply places they have them sometimes .But I could not find cheaper than pet mountain but they took a week to get here .You could try online that fish place .com they are in PA .I could not find tank adapters at lowes or home depot

sissy, Sep 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question