Hello from SWFL!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FL Zoo Mom, Mar 21, 2016.

1. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

Hi, folks! I'm planning my next pond and since I'm in a rental it's going to have to be above ground and able to be moved should I ever leave here. I'm going with an 110-gallon stock tank from my local Tractor Supply and I'm looking at plans for a DIY bio filter. I'm going to put a few plants in and a few goldfish and it's going to be my serenity.

I had a small in-ground pond when I lived in MI so I have a basic understanding, but I have a feeling that water gardening in South FL might present some unique challenges. I'm still in the planning stages so if anyone has any hints or tips I'm all ears!

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 21, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. FL Zoo Mom

Lisak1

Not in Florida myself (I WISH!) but I would guess one challenge for ponds (especially smaller ones like you are planning) in your climate would be the heat. If you can I would choose a shady spot or plan for some kind of added shade. Lots of plant cover on the surface will help too. We have some ponders from Florida here, so I'm sure they will chime in.

Welcome!

Lisak1, Mar 21, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. FL Zoo Mom

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum! :)

Becky, Mar 21, 2016
  4. FL Zoo Mom

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Hello and welcome fellow Floridian.
    An above ground pond in our climate absolutely requires mostly shade. I would say that 3 - 4 hours of sun a day would be sufficient and manageable. The water will heat up quite rapidly and , because our summer nights are also quite warm, this heat will dissipate very little and being above ground there is now surrounding soil to moderate the water temperature. Ample shade must be provided especially from mid-day through the afternoon hours. Other than that it is business as usual in maintaining a pond. The advantage of our climate is that there is no Winter ice-overs and pond shut-downs, no fish with compromised immune systems because of Winter inactivity. In other words, your pond will function at a full 100% the entire year.

Meyer Jordan, Mar 21, 2016
    Dave 54 likes this.
  5. FL Zoo Mom

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group!

addy1, Mar 21, 2016
  6. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

I was actually considering putting it on my lanai so it would get afternoon sun through the screen or just outside the lanai in a spot behind the Areka palms. That way it'd get a few hours of sun but a lot of shade and dappled sun. I do plan on having lilies and some water hyacinth to add more cover for the water and fish. I was hoping that if the water is moving that it would help to keep it from getting too hot, but I'm not sure how that works.

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
  7. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

Thank you! I know that the heat is really going to be quite a challenge but I am taking the brutal sun into consideration.

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
  8. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

Thank you!

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
  9. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

Thank you very much!

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
  10. FL Zoo Mom

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

An in-ground pond has the advantage of the surrounding soil to help moderate the water temperatures be it Summer or Winter. An above-ground pond does not have the advantage of this moderation. Shade in the hottest part of the day will be your main salvation. The heat from solar radiance is not the only source of heat that you will be dealing with. The ambient air temperature will play a major role.

Meyer Jordan, Mar 22, 2016
  11. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

Outside air temperature isn't something I considered. Do you think if I partially buried it maybe a foot down that would help?

Or maybe I'll just keep it on the lanai and solve the sun issues. My concern is the plants getting enough sun and that's the only reason I considered putting it outside the lanai. I'm going to have to measure the amount of sun that comes into the lanai in the afternoon.

I'm glad I found this board!

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
    peter hillman likes this.
  12. FL Zoo Mom

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

If it is placed on the lanai, it will require filtered (dappled) sun the entire time. Mid-day to afternoon sun is grueling here in Florida, much more for you as you are farther south than I am. Even non-native plants are usually unable to survive the heat and radiation. Dappled sun in your Zone is equivalent to full sun in Zone 4/5 so Water Lilies and other aquatic plants should do OK. That should tell you what you will be dealing with.

Meyer Jordan, Mar 22, 2016
  13. FL Zoo Mom

FL Zoo Mom

That's extremely good information. Thank you.

I might have to reconsider everything about this. :/

FL Zoo Mom, Mar 22, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question