Hello from the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So I'm at the very beginnings of putting a pond together (as in, designing one now).
I'd like it to be a nice addition to my garden but I'm doing my best to be careful in the design stage to make sure that it's a great sight for me and a great place for the fish too.

Right now I'm thinking it's going to be something like 6ft x 4ft, and 5ft deep. I realise that koi are almost certainly out with those kinds of dimensions, which is fine, I'm not really desperate for koi - the garden itself isn't enormous and to give them sufficient space, I think it would take up too high a percentage of the garden.

What I'm really interested in is filtration/aeration. I'm looking at some little waterfalls and things like that but I'm not sure what the best way to go here is.

Would love for an experienced ponder to give me a few handy hints! :)

Thanks!
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! But why do you need it to be 5’ deep, especially since you’re not going to have koi? More important than depth is total surface area, which is where gas exchange takes place.
Hi - thanks for getting back to me!

I suppose I don't really need it to be 5ft deep, I was just trying to be as kind as I can be given that I'm trying to be conservative on the width and length dimensions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! But why do you need it to be 5’ deep, especially since you’re not going to have koi? More important than depth is total surface area, which is where gas exchange takes place.

I meant to ask also, would you say that filtration is a necessity in that case? I've read a lot of conflicting things.
Ideally, I'd like to pop a little waterfall in, something I imagine would be very positive for the water quality but as a pretty midling DIY-er... I'm not sure I'm up to the task!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Deeper isn't necessarily better, as @Mmathis said. Surface area is more important. I remember reading something posted here a few years ago (probably Meyer Jordan) that a deep pond that's not wide enough is actually a detriment. I get your point that you are trying to increase gallons without increasing the footprint, but there's a point a which is no longer makes sense. Plus, once you start digging you'll see - 3 feet is just about right!

Welcome to the GPF!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-7-16_13-33-22.gif
@Newbieponderuk You could do a simple filter like this one.

upload_2018-7-16_13-35-10.jpeg

The diagram is similar to what I have in my 2400 gal pond. You can build your own waterfall out of rocks. You don't have to have a box one like this above.

This it the kind I bought:
upload_2018-7-16_13-36-16.jpeg

I bought two and screwed them together for my bigger pond. Bought it here: https://webbsonline.com
It's called Matala EZ Bio 20 Filter.

upload_2018-7-16_13-36-37.jpeg

It just sits on the bottom and runs water to the waterfall. I tied a rope to mine so I can easily pull it out for hosing off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deeper isn't necessarily better, as @Mmathis said. Surface area is more important. I remember reading something posted here a few years ago (probably Meyer Jordan) that a deep pond that's not wide enough is actually a detriment. I get your point that you are trying to increase gallons without increasing the footprint, but there's a point a which is no longer makes sense. Plus, once you start digging you'll see - 3 feet is just about right!

Welcome to the GPF!
Hi, thanks also for replying to me!

My plan is to have a raised wall around the dugout earth, partly for decorative purpose but additionally, this would allow for a bit more depth too.

Do you really think I can go overly deep? Being in Scotland, sometimes Winter can be a bit intense, I was thinking also that an additional ft/ft and a half of depth would help with this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I live in the midwest where we get not just a bit intense - we get REALLY INTENSE - winters. Ponds here are built 2.5 - 3 feet deep and the fish overwinter in them just fine. Remember that anything above ground level will be subject to freezing, so you aren't really providing more below ground water area for your fish.

A partially raised pond has other things to love about it though - like an area to sit and gaze into the pond on the edge!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@callingcolleen1 has some nice raised ponds in Canada https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/page-87#post-371089 where it gets super cold too! I like the raised look and like @Lisak1 said you can sit or place things around the edge etc.

Oh wow - those do look very nice!
I think I'm looking for something a little more decorative and discrete than that but still, they look very impressive!

Do you have any idea of what my budget is needing to be?
I've smuggled about $500 away just now to get me started and I'm thinking next month there will be more like $700 in my budget, Do you reckon that's enough to get the project underway?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow - those do look very nice!
I think I'm looking for something a little more decorative and discrete than that but still, they look very impressive!

Do you have any idea of what my budget is needing to be?
I've smuggled about $500 away just now to get me started and I'm thinking next month there will be more like $700 in my budget, Do you reckon that's enough to get the project underway?

any project always prepare to be 3x cost coming under that budget is always nice. but it does cover those oh s moments when you forgot to include something or come up on unexpected stuff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
any project always prepare to be 3x cost coming under that budget is always nice. but it does cover those oh s moments when you forgot to include something or come up on unexpected stuff
Sue - that's my formula too! Decide how much you think it will cost and how long you think it will take -- then multiply BOTH by 3! :LOL:

Ask a Question