Hello from TN

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smwelcome.gif

Wow! I totally love your property and I can tell the pond will turn out amazing!
It must be hard to dig in the roots yet you made it sound so easy...good job, can't wait to see the finish product.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
View attachment 111821

Wow! I totally love your property and I can tell the pond will turn out amazing!
It must be hard to dig in the roots yet you made it sound so easy...good job, can't wait to see the finish product.
Thank you Gemma! We actually got pretty lucky and only hit one large-ish root that my husband was able to chop with the shovel. With luck like that we should buy a lottery ticket!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you Gemma! We actually got pretty lucky and only hit one large-ish root that my husband was able to chop with the shovel. With luck like that we should buy a lottery ticket!
We're about to start digging our second pond, I wish it was already done....or at least that it'd go as fast as you guys did yours! It's not even the digging that makes me nervous, it's what to do with the dirt....wish me a bit of that luck
smdigging.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We're about to start digging our second pond, I wish it was already done....or at least that it'd go as fast as you guys did yours! It's not even the digging that makes me nervous, it's what to do with the dirt....wish me a bit of that luck
View attachment 111822
Indeed, best of luck to you and I can't wait to see it! How big will your 2nd. endeavor be? Again, we were lucky that the pond is on a slope and we needed the dirt on the low side. Since the site edges up to the woods we didn't have to worry about hiding the embankment. Although we did come close to needing to haul some away!

Maybe Craigslist to advertise free dirt? Around here we have some leave it / borrow it types of sites for dirt, gravel and rocks. Anything like that around you; providing you have a way to haul it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Indeed, best of luck to you and I can't wait to see it! How big will your 2nd. endeavor be? Again, we were lucky that the pond is on a slope and we needed the dirt on the low side. Since the site edges up to the woods we didn't have to worry about hiding the embankment. Although we did come close to needing to haul some away!

Maybe Craigslist to advertise free dirt? Around here we have some leave it / borrow it types of sites for dirt, gravel and rocks. Anything like that around you; providing you have a way to haul it?
Sorry I just got to read this
Thanks for the good luck wish! :)
I have absolutely no idea how big this pond will be because we keep changing our minds on things. We got rid of the slope, so I already have a huge pile of dirt sitting there even before we start digging the pond. we had to stop working due to the heat, we're hoping to start digging the footers soon...but don't expect much, it will be another hybrid like my existing pond cause even though I'd prefer an Aquascape style(love, this style works best for me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
New plan! (See @Gemma , we change our minds too!) Instead of connecting the original pond to the new pond via a small stream, we're just going to incorporate the small pond into a longer stream.
NewRiver.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Magnificent setting. Love it.

Now for the wet blanket comment. Absolutely positively remove every bit of dead wood from under your pond. You’re gonna get termites, and they will damage your liner over time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Magnificent setting. Love it.

Now for the wet blanket comment. Absolutely positively remove every bit of dead wood from under your pond. You’re gonna get termites, and they will damage your liner over time.

Thanks. There's no dead wood "under" the pond. Solid rock base.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Excellent. Over time what will happen is that the surrounding trees and shrubs will form a basket of roots under the liner and some will die. It will take maybe 10 years or longer. We pulled a liner off a pond in a heavily wooded area that was in place for about 15 years and developed leaks. It looked like the owner put a woven basket down before laying the liner. It was beautiful actually. Nothing to worry over, but it’s good to know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Excellent. Over time what will happen is that the surrounding trees and shrubs will form a basket of roots under the liner and some will die. It will take maybe 10 years or longer. We pulled a liner off a pond in a heavily wooded area that was in place for about 15 years and developed leaks. It looked like the owner put a woven basket down before laying the liner. It was beautiful actually. Nothing to worry over, but it’s good to know.
I bet that was an interesting sight!

Ask a Question