Hello

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My husband and I bought a home in the spring that came with a large koi pond. The pond is oval and has a waterfall on one end. It is 4ft deep in the center and approximately 7000 gallons. It is beautiful, but has been a source of frustration. I'm trying my best, but find the conflicting information on many topics maddening. To pump or not to pump in the winter? Some do, some don't. Filtration? The pond was thriving without any. Test the water or not. I do as it is a fun activity to do with my daughter.

I'm hoping I can gain some knowledge and insight reading these forums. Also, I'm hoping for some support and advice.

Thanks all,
Tanya

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and being thrown into pond can be fun and scarey what ever issues or fears you have tell us we can help .I am not in a really cold climate but help as much as I can

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome Tanya! This is a very good site and helpful~ (I know what you mean about the conflicting advice.....) But when I hear the same advice repeatedly then I tend to go with that. Good to have you on board!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow that is a really nice looking pond and think you got a great pond beside the house .The rocks the stone wall the fence well that all I could want .The pond looks well aerated and you have nice plants that you can divide up .I see a stone bench ,I think I am jealous

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more pics please 5 likes if i could give 5 LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE .STONE ENVY

Reaction score
Thank you TurtleMommy. I never thought about having a pond or fish, but now that I do, I take the responsibility seriously. It was terrible finding my Chagoi dead and knowing it was my fault.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tanya I love this pond you posted! Are your edging flat rocks mortared in place directly to the liner? That is my next step and I am trying how to best do that. Just a beautiful job.

Reaction score
Kristi Kelty said:
Tanya I love this pond you posted! Are your edging flat rocks mortared in place directly to the liner? That is my next step and I am trying how to best do that. Just a beautiful job.
Yes, they are. The people we bought the house from designed and built this pond. Even if I kill every koi in it (I sure hope that does't happen) I'll keep the pond as a water garden. I am very much looking forward to the spring when I will be installing a filter system, a new pump, and switching out the current tubing from rigid to flexible so I can hide it behind plants. It is a shame the original setup failed as it was most gorgeous then when all the plumbing was hidden.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can understand that koi are fussy and I wish someone had told me before I bought mine .I would make up baskets with quilt batting and run hose from pump into quilt batting something may be in the pond that needs filtered out and quilt batting will help over filter water when you cleaned the pond .No matter how little you do cleaning can release something bad and a crate or 2 with the quilt batting will filter it out .I hose the quilt batting off and soak it in peroxide and water to clean it good and put it back in the crate .A lot of work at first but it pays off in keeping your water cleaner .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose it is cheap and have been using it for over 4 years and I had it in my pond and inside the waterfall if it ever leaks it goes right back into the pond .Plus this way rodents can't chew through it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sissy does the quilt batting have to run a filter through it? ....Or can I just get some batting, put inside a crate and lower it into the deep portion of the pond for now until I get to doing the second phase? (Second phase to include 1 foot waterfall and small stream. Small bog is next though.) And there are a million types of quilt batting~ can you please remind me again which type of batting to use/or not to use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome Tanya and beautiful pond! Lucky you!

I am a newbie. First summer and winter with my pond. Lots of very knowledgable and helpful ponders here.

I have used quilt batting. I prefer the flatter, tighter weave to the fluffy stuff. Fold it up and fit into the container your using.
I have used a large nursery pot (the cheap black ones trees come in) and also a plastic milk crate type. Sat it in front of my water coming out of my filter and let it flow back into the pond. Works very well for picking up suspended particles.

Ask a Question