Hello

Reaction score
Country
United States
Moved into a house with a pond 5 years ago. It has been a constant learning process. I've made some improvements along the way. What brought me here was looking for info to build a small pond in a courtyard of my sons school along with a native garden. I've been finding ideas for my pond too along the way. Looks like a lot of good info here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1573683551749.gif
@QBee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! If it’s for a school, I’d suggest you talk to the science teacher and see about a class project to gather local plants for it, and stock small native schooling fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. We will not likely be adding fish. The reason behind adding the pond started with ducks that show up each year to nest there. They have been putting a kiddy pool out when it shows up to provide the water. Plantings planned in and around the pond are planned for the ducks, though I'm finding that there are many issues related to keeping ponds for ducks that are very different than fish. The plan is to involve a student club in planning and care. The pond area is a small part of the bigger native garden.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Sounds like a neat project.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and they have done that on a couple of garden shows on TV .I saw one on garden smart and they have several video's on youtube .Lots of schools are giving the children a chance at making schools a nature loving area .Great that you are doing this for the school

Ask a Question