Hello

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Was suggested to come here after a query on an aquarium site I'm a member of.

Just moved house (South East Scotland) and it has a, I hesitate to call it a pond, "puddle" in the back garden. I've always wanted a pond so am considering how to enlarge it and how best to adjust the garden so it works for us. It sits under a tree in the sunny part of the garden so I'm considering enlarging it and making a heavily planted bog area surrounding it so it hides the seating area from the neighbours. Sadly there is a mature apple tree close by and a couple of willows. Not sure how much trouble they will give, they are pretty mature.

The other project I'm thinking about seems ambitous to me but I'm hoping to find some good pointers on here, is a patio pond. One of those that you see bits of but there are bits of patio that go over the top and hide areas. This would have to be blind dog and wheelchair friendly. So currently looking for inspiration.

Look forward to leaning lots from you all.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WelcometotheGroupCup-1.gif
@Myrkk

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Roots and leaf/branch/fruit litter would be the issues if you get close to the trees. Some folks use nets to keep the worst of the debris out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While fruit and leaves are a consideration for maintenance. roots from willows seek out water and rubber develops condensation on the outside. an attraction for trees or shrubs that like and need lots of water .

welcome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Myrkk! Glad to see you found this site.
It will help if you post those pictures from the other site and also a few more (a 360 degree) so we can see what you are considering. You moved in last August, so you have been there for 6 months. How does the yard drain? Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PICTURES ARE WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like a raised pond would be your best bet. That can be anything from a couple inches to say three or four feet high. It's all in what you see your situation would be best suited for. i myself have recessed edges where the patio is a few inches above the water level to a retaining wall thats a good foot and a half above the water line . i believe the later is more what you'd be leaning toward at 400 minutes i show the retaining wall i was refering to

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with @GBBUDD about a raised pond given you have a blind dog and also need wheelchair assistance. A raised pond will be much safer for the puppy dog and considerably easier to maintain from a wheelchair. There is a company in British Columbia, Canada that makes a sensational, raised pond kit. https://kimsponds.com/
I had never heard of Kim' Ponds until 'stumbling' on them while surfing the net. Several emails later, I took a chance, and had them custom make one for my turtle three years ago. The quality is absolutely first class. Ease of assembly is just as they advertise. They also have on-line videos to assist those of us who don't listen to the wife when reading the instructions! I get more accolades about this pond than my other ponds. Given my reputation in the industry, I should be compensated for this endorsement! One thing we don't know @Myrkk, is do you have pond or aquarium experience?

Ask a Question