Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by buckry, Jun 11, 2012.

1. buckry

sissy sissy

oh my that would be one for the plumber to handle then

sissy, Jun 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. buckry

jenn.

I like it! Very nice work :razz: It's funny but I have had goldfish for 5 years and never once had a baby goldie. We have had some koi born but just leaving them be naturally most got eaten (only 5 ever made it and only 3 of those made it to maturity).

jenn., Jun 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. buckry

buckry

See that sounds ideal to me, I don't want any more goldfish, and I would be ok with 1 or 2 new koi a year. I believe I could get rid of that many, but if I'm doubling my population every year I don't think my area is going to support that. I know of 2 people with koi in this area, and both ponds are 400 gallons. Neither one has any room for new fish. I know of one farmer with a pond that has talked about putting koi in it so I bet she would take some for a couple of years, but eventually she'll have enough. I guess my backup plan is to take them to work and dump them in the retention pond. Or I could put them in the river, maybe they'll swim upstream and end up in Lake Michigan.

buckry, Jun 13, 2012
  4. buckry

buckry

You know I forgot to mention about my koi pond. My first shovel full of dirt had bricks in it. My second shovel had old nails. After that I found old glass mason jars, electrical insulators, charcoal, and my favorite the hardware from an old door, 2 hinges and a door knob. It was about this time I starting cursing the previous owners, how lazy do you have to be to dump garbage in your yard and bury it? But the next shovel I drove into the ground hit a rock. It was big, I dug around it and it was a perfect tan flagstone block. Over the course of the month as I dug I found enough flagstone to landscape the entire pond. Everything you see in the picture I posted was free, and found inside the whole that is now filled with water. I tried to convince my wife that this was a sign from above that we were meant to be koi owners, she didn't really buy it, but she was glad we save a couple hundred dollars on rock. That's the best story I have so far about my project, well aside from hitting the house's old well, but that's a story for another day.

buckry, Jun 13, 2012
    j.w likes this.
  5. buckry

buckry

We all really enjoyed watching the koi in the large pond tonight. In the small thing, all 24 fish were basically swimming together all the time because there was no place to go to get away from other fish. Now they have all of this room, and their little school is adorable. They spent a lot of time at the waterfall and exploring the deepend. They don't like the 3' section very well, I don't know why.

Attached Files:

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  6. buckry

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

It takes them time to get used to new digs.

addy1, Jun 15, 2012
  7. buckry

buckry

It was really hard to get them out of the small pond, but they don't seem stressed at all. I was really worried they'd be stressed and die after reading lots of horror stories here in the forum. I will say this, Koi are freaking geniuses. They were one step ahead of me the whole time, I had to drain the pond down to 2" and get super creative to catch them all. It took me about an hour to get all 11. I am missing one, not sure which one, i think he's been gone for a while but with 24 fish I didn't notice until now.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  8. buckry

pondlover Bogs are good for more than just your pond!

I really like the shape of your pond. Congrats on being lucky enough to find so many rocks. I think that was our biggest expense!

pondlover, Jun 15, 2012
  9. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hey buckry whatever you do I wouldn't let those koi go in any wild lakes or rivers or you could be in big doo doo! The state of Maine has banned koi in ponds now because lots of people have let them go out in the wild and I guess they take over and make it hard for the natural fish to live there. If other states have the same problems they might all jump on the bandwagon. I think your best bet would be to put ads on Craigslist or if you have http://www.freecycle.org/ you can give away for free.

j.w, Jun 15, 2012
  10. buckry

buckry

Our only body of water here is a pair of rivers and it would be cruel and unusual punishment to put anything living into them. They are really disgusting polluted rivers and right now with the drought we've been having they're probably down to just a few inches in most areas. It's pretty sad, but the good news is there is normally at least 1 blue heron on each side of every bridge in town, but I have yet to see a single one anywhere this summer, and believe me this year I'm looking hard for them. So I think these rivers are so devoid of life the herons just moved on. Good to know about Maine, I'll assume Indiana is the same way and just find alternate ways to get rid of babies.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  11. buckry

PonderingPonds

Welcome to the forum! I had to reply when I read this about the broken glass and trash from the previous owners. I ran into the same issue with our dig, had broken glass in almost every shovel full of dirt, and then came upon a pocket of burned and burried trash, rusted cans and even a shoe!.
    I was not lucky enough to unearth any flagstone though, great find!
    Your pond looks great, all the best of luck with it.

PonderingPonds, Jun 15, 2012
  12. buckry

Mucky_Waters

Pond looks good Buckry.
    Where you have the water flowing out near the house it looks like maybe you might have your pump and filters in the house, is that the case?

Mucky_Waters, Jun 15, 2012
  13. buckry

buckry

No, the pumps are sump pumps in buckets in the deepest parts of both ends of the pond. The hoses are buried under the edge of the liner and landscaping rocks, then they just shoot up the back wall of the mini bog/waterfall.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  14. buckry

CliffandJoann

do yourself a big favor and give away the goldfish now. they multiply like crazy, by next summer you'll have
    hundreds of them and then thousands . we did the same thing, now we're down to our original 15 year old
    goldfish and his son...no chance of multiplying.

welcome to the forum, you have a very nice pond...your adventures are just begining.

CliffandJoann, Jun 15, 2012
  15. buckry

buckry

Hmmm, well I don't care much about the goldfish pond, if it's a mess in a couple of years I'll worry about that then. For now they haven't spawned this year so I've only got 10 or 11. We'll see what the future holds.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  16. buckry

sissy sissy

hey better than finding an old grave yard hidden in the brush ,when we cleared to put Tammy's pond in that's what we found ,of course had to rethink where the pond went .Funny thing is even the county had no clue it was there as it was not registered as a family plot and when Tammy bought the land and put the house there 12 years ago no one knew .Septic tank is back there ,but off to the other side of it and leach fields go the other way .Glad her well is out front .Guess it is worth it to have your land cleared to see what is there .3 grave markers are all we found and can only read last name .

sissy, Jun 15, 2012
  17. buckry

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Mine have spawned a bunch, no fry, if you don't feed the fish a lot they will eat the eggs as fast as they are laid.

addy1, Jun 15, 2012
  18. buckry

buckry

I found something new under my deck yesterday. My overflow drain runs under the deck down a small hill and dumps right out onto the ground. After running my hose into the pond for a while one of the pavers for the sidewalk to the deck disappeared underground.
    I pulled it out, and noticed the water was flowing down this weird winding stream, and disappearing underground! I saw a weird brick structure, it looks like some sort of cistern or something, it's only 2 or 3 inches under the soil under my deck. Very strange, but certainly better than a graveyard. Creepy.

Good point on the goldfish, I'll start them during spawning season and hope for the worst.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
  19. buckry

sissy sissy

I have seen a few of them in my time and have my new overflow from my new well set up connected to an insulated hose so when the filters back flush flowers will get watered In my first house back in NJ had a cistern i dug up when i went to put in a paver patio ,amazing things because most were built with wooden lids and most lids are intact ,my first house was 150 years old and was used as a speak easy back in prohabition times so people could get there alcohol fix .Found lots of recorded busts at the house ,you think they get busted once they move ,but no .The lid to mine was totally intact and not an ounce of rot ,tells you how good old growth trees are I used it as a fire pit to roast the good old marshmellow until it was crispy .Great fire pit .Here they have grave yards all over ,slave ones and even what they call witches yards .Cross upside down do not enter or you shall be cursed .Every one that was considered evil is in those .

sissy, Jun 15, 2012
  20. buckry

buckry

Geez, a witches graveyard, that's even creepier. I'm probably safe that sort of hoodoo here in Indiana.

buckry, Jun 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question