Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by buckry, Jun 11, 2012.

1. buckry

sissy sissy

Hey I am from NJ and raised there from the age of 3 but born in PA , think of my shock when I saw these things.Last year when I was buying a second home here one of the properties i was looking at had a witches grave or they also call them condemned slave graves for slaves that people thought were possessed.I had never heard of this but my realtor did and said they scare people all the time from buying a property.Well lets put it this way I did not want a grave yard on the property at all .I have only been down here living since 2004 but bought my property in early 2003 .I put my first preformed pond in ,in 2004 and then went bigger .

sissy, Jun 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. buckry

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

there is no spawning season, they spawn, like almost always. The best thing to do is if you see chasing stop the food, or just feed 2-3 times a week lightly. The fish will do fine on their own, and munch on eggs.

addy1, Jun 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

Is it Halloween already? I would love to see those graveyards and would be interesting to find out any information on them if one could. [​IMG][​IMG]

j.w, Jun 16, 2012
  4. buckry

sissy sissy

I would never take a pic of the bad grave yard .I was told by a woman down here you take the bad with you .Geeze with my luck lately wondering if just finding one and looking at it can bring you bad luck .No one will enter them from even the historical society down here .They just add them to there list of note worthy grave sights and register them .Not gonna find me near one again and i almost walked right into it looking at the property ,if the agent hadn't yelled and scared me I would have .Like they say curiosity killed the cat .

sissy, Jun 16, 2012
  5. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

Superstitious a little bit sissy?

j.w, Jun 16, 2012
  6. buckry

Mucky_Waters

We found one of those when we were building our fence/woodshed, one of the fence posts got cemented in right on top of the tank. Apperently there use to be an old school right next to my house back in the early 1900s, it was probably the water cistern for that.
    I hate to let something like that got to waste, so I pumped it out and cleaned it up, even tiled the floor, now I use it as a sort of cool room for keeping stuff from freezing during the winter.
    Here's what it looks like now. My youngest son is the tour guide. :)

Oh and no witches, sorry.

Mucky_Waters, Jun 16, 2012
  7. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

I really got a kick outta that one Mucky and I think your son did a wonderful job as our tour guide! Really wish a ghost or something would have appeared in the filming tho!
    Looks like a great place to hide if you ever get into trouble...............not saying you are the trouble making kind or anything just saying a nice secret hiding place maybe from a Martian invasion,zombie attack or what have you :eek:

j.w, Jun 16, 2012
  8. buckry

taherrmann4 Tmann

JW sounds like Mucky was saying you are not invited.... :LOL:

taherrmann4, Jun 16, 2012
  9. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

Watch it Tmann!

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
    Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the caldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
    Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

[​IMG]Run Tmann Run...............................[​IMG]

j.w, Jun 16, 2012
    taherrmann4 likes this.
  10. buckry

sissy sissy

JW YES YES YES .That looks like a bomb shelter Mucky

sissy, Jun 16, 2012
  11. buckry

buckry

Oh geez, there is NO spawning season? I thought I only had to worry about that in spring and early summer. Dang, oh well.

buckry, Jun 16, 2012
  12. buckry

I went from 4 fish to over 150 in one season.................with just an addition of a few small ones. Still lots of water room for more, still have not seen any fry yet.

addy1, Jun 16, 2012
  13. buckry

buckry

My goldfish are only 7 or 8 months old so hopefully I have a couple of years before I have to worry about that.

And back to the cistern thing, when I first moved into this house there was a weird hole in the front yard. I looked at it and found there was a wooden lid in it. i figured it was a well or something so as my first project I dug up the dirt on the lid with the intention of building a new lid and putting a new layer of dirt on top. Well, the uncovering process got started, and it continued, and it continued, then just when I thought I was done, it continued some more. The lid ended up being a full 4 feet by 8 feet. Once I got it uncovered I popped it off and it was a 4x8 hole 5' deep. It was lined with cinder blocks, and the bottom was sand. There were no pipes coming or going so I have no idea what the purpose of this thing is. I built a new 4x8 lid out of treated lumber, put roofing tar paper on it and reburied it, but to this day it's a complete mystery, no one has any idea what it could be used for.

buckry, Jun 17, 2012
  14. buckry

j.w I Love my Goldies

Bootleg whiskey stillery hidden from the highwaymen's sight? Old duck blind when there was no homes in the area, just a swamp? Would be fun to find out tho wouldn't it? How old is your house? Had a covered thing sorta like that at the last house we lived in. The neighbor said it was a drainage pit for the washing machine!

j.w, Jun 17, 2012
  15. buckry

don't ask

hmmm... the possibilities are endless

don't ask, Jun 17, 2012
  16. buckry

buckry

House is a crappy stone ranch from 1950 so I think any of those old romantic ideas are probably out. And if it's a drainage for something, where does the waste water enter the box? It's possible there is plumbing underneither the sand, hold on, you don't suppose this is a skippy filter do you? Just need to add 50,000 sponges...

buckry, Jun 17, 2012
    j.w likes this.
  17. buckry

mine where only 2 inches in size, when I put them in the fall before, maybe 4 inches big when they went baby crazy.

addy1, Jun 17, 2012
  18. buckry

buckry

That sounds like my koi as well, got them at 2" and mostly are 3" now, but a few 4's and one 5" Actually it's the metallic ones that are small, all of the orange and white ones are huge. Do metallics grow slower or something?

buckry, Jun 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question