Hello!

Reaction score
You know I forgot to mention about my koi pond. My first shovel full of dirt had bricks in it. My second shovel had old nails. After that I found old glass mason jars, electrical insulators, charcoal, and my favorite the hardware from an old door, 2 hinges and a door knob. It was about this time I starting cursing the previous owners, how lazy do you have to be to dump garbage in your yard and bury it? But the next shovel I drove into the ground hit a rock. It was big, I dug around it and it was a perfect tan flagstone block. Over the course of the month as I dug I found enough flagstone to landscape the entire pond. Everything you see in the picture I posted was free, and found inside the whole that is now filled with water. I tried to convince my wife that this was a sign from above that we were meant to be koi owners, she didn't really buy it, but she was glad we save a couple hundred dollars on rock. That's the best story I have so far about my project, well aside from hitting the house's old well, but that's a story for another day.

Welcome to the forum! I had to reply when I read this about the broken glass and trash from the previous owners. I ran into the same issue with our dig, had broken glass in almost every shovel full of dirt, and then came upon a pocket of burned and burried trash, rusted cans and even a shoe!.
I was not lucky enough to unearth any flagstone though, great find!
Your pond looks great, all the best of luck with it.

Reaction score
Pond looks good Buckry.
Where you have the water flowing out near the house it looks like maybe you might have your pump and filters in the house, is that the case?

Reaction score
No, the pumps are sump pumps in buckets in the deepest parts of both ends of the pond. The hoses are buried under the edge of the liner and landscaping rocks, then they just shoot up the back wall of the mini bog/waterfall.

Reaction score
do yourself a big favor and give away the goldfish now. they multiply like crazy, by next summer you'll have
hundreds of them and then thousands . we did the same thing, now we're down to our original 15 year old
goldfish and his son...no chance of multiplying.

welcome to the forum, you have a very nice pond...your adventures are just begining.

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I don't care much about the goldfish pond, if it's a mess in a couple of years I'll worry about that then. For now they haven't spawned this year so I've only got 10 or 11. We'll see what the future holds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey better than finding an old grave yard hidden in the brush ,when we cleared to put Tammy's pond in that's what we found ,of course had to rethink where the pond went .Funny thing is even the county had no clue it was there as it was not registered as a family plot and when Tammy bought the land and put the house there 12 years ago no one knew .Septic tank is back there ,but off to the other side of it and leach fields go the other way .Glad her well is out front .Guess it is worth it to have your land cleared to see what is there .3 grave markers are all we found and can only read last name .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmm, well I don't care much about the goldfish pond, if it's a mess in a couple of years I'll worry about that then. For now they haven't spawned this year so I've only got 10 or 11. We'll see what the future holds.

Mine have spawned a bunch, no fry, if you don't feed the fish a lot they will eat the eggs as fast as they are laid.

Reaction score
I found something new under my deck yesterday. My overflow drain runs under the deck down a small hill and dumps right out onto the ground. After running my hose into the pond for a while one of the pavers for the sidewalk to the deck disappeared underground.
I pulled it out, and noticed the water was flowing down this weird winding stream, and disappearing underground! I saw a weird brick structure, it looks like some sort of cistern or something, it's only 2 or 3 inches under the soil under my deck. Very strange, but certainly better than a graveyard. Creepy.

Good point on the goldfish, I'll start them during spawning season and hope for the worst.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen a few of them in my time and have my new overflow from my new well set up connected to an insulated hose so when the filters back flush flowers will get watered In my first house back in NJ had a cistern i dug up when i went to put in a paver patio ,amazing things because most were built with wooden lids and most lids are intact ,my first house was 150 years old and was used as a speak easy back in prohabition times so people could get there alcohol fix .Found lots of recorded busts at the house ,you think they get busted once they move ,but no .The lid to mine was totally intact and not an ounce of rot ,tells you how good old growth trees are I used it as a fire pit to roast the good old marshmellow until it was crispy .Great fire pit .Here they have grave yards all over ,slave ones and even what they call witches yards .Cross upside down do not enter or you shall be cursed .Every one that was considered evil is in those .

Reaction score
Geez, a witches graveyard, that's even creepier. I'm probably safe that sort of hoodoo here in Indiana.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey I am from NJ and raised there from the age of 3 but born in PA , think of my shock when I saw these things.Last year when I was buying a second home here one of the properties i was looking at had a witches grave or they also call them condemned slave graves for slaves that people thought were possessed.I had never heard of this but my realtor did and said they scare people all the time from buying a property.Well lets put it this way I did not want a grave yard on the property at all .I have only been down here living since 2004 but bought my property in early 2003 .I put my first preformed pond in ,in 2004 and then went bigger .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good point on the goldfish, I'll start them during spawning season and hope for the worst.

there is no spawning season, they spawn, like almost always. The best thing to do is if you see chasing stop the food, or just feed 2-3 times a week lightly. The fish will do fine on their own, and munch on eggs.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is it Halloween already? I would love to see those graveyards and would be interesting to find out any information on them if one could.
skelyrip.gif
death01r.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would never take a pic of the bad grave yard .I was told by a woman down here you take the bad with you .Geeze with my luck lately wondering if just finding one and looking at it can bring you bad luck .No one will enter them from even the historical society down here .They just add them to there list of note worthy grave sights and register them .Not gonna find me near one again and i almost walked right into it looking at the property ,if the agent hadn't yelled and scared me I would have .Like they say curiosity killed the cat .

Ask a Question