Help.. Fish keep getting injured

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What about a weasel? I would say a cat but if its netted off it couldnt be. If it was a heron the bird would have took them whole. You may have a rogue turtle from a local canal or something??? Im from the midlands and we have spotted turtles and crayfish in the canals?

You must be devasted poor fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just googled a bloke in the uk had all his pond fish killed by bites n chunks taken off by a mink!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, thanks for all your input on this.
We don't have raccoons in the uk, could be a weasel But they are more in the countryside, than in built up towns, not sure if they swim or not.
I put a photo of my pond, it's not overly big, about 900 litres I suppose, I have 2 small koi, 3 small ghost carp, and one goldfish.
We have added more net, and blocked any entry in and out the pond now so it's all sealed, I think what ever was getting in and out, was using the pump hose to climb on, so now a net is completely stopping that.
I'm going to pick up the wildlife camera over the weekend, let's see if it can capture what ever this is

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's interesting about the mink though, I've never seen one round here, I think there is something going on in the south east of England to get rid of them, as they are not native to this country, whether this could be the problem, I'm not sure, there is some woodland, fields and a lake not that far from me, but it would be odd, if one has come this far, into a built up housing estate.. Could be a weasel or a stoat, they are more common than a mink, but still, it would still have to venture far away from any green area just to visit my small pond.
I am thinking about the trap though, see if I can order one online.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can count out the frogs. They have no teeth, and like snakes they swallow their prey whole.
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after a few weeks of using the wildlife camera.. the only creatures that visited the pond were this darn cat, who.. i've never seen anywhere around here in daylight and god knows who it belongs too!! and a small fox.. still doesn't really explain chunks taken out of the fish though. i suppose it could of been the cat???

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 224

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Momoko I have heard of cats getting into fish ponds, but from my experience with cats, I would think that only a really desperate feral would be that bold. My cats are always fascinated with water, but as soon as they realize it's wet......

Have you set up a live-trap? I apologize if this has already been mentioned as I didn't go back and read older posts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I haven't got a live trap yet, and seeing how nothing small like a rat has visited on the camera, i'm not sure whether that could be a waste of money or not.

Ask a Question