Newbie pond help needed, Algae?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to pond life and i need help please. I live in UK. I have posted a video showing my pond. It's a new pond build and was crystal clear, I've added some plants and the whole pond has gone a green merky colour and a slimy substance is clinging to everything. I've treated it with an anti Algea chemical but 3 days later no improvement. Please take a look at my video (link) and any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We all improve with age and ponds are the same way .If you want to clear it up some use a pump and hose and crate and quilt batting and it will clear some of it up .Koi clay will also work .It clouds the water up and binds to the green stuff and sends it to your filter and a natural way to do it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Slime is normal, this is not your bathtub. Life will grow all over in your pond. Also it is good to allow the short green carpet type algae to grow on the sides and bottom of your pond. Very beneficial to your water and fish. Never scrub your pond. Don't use chemicals as it changes the whole chemistry of your water and shocks your fish and plants. You need to be patient and wait for clearing as this is a new pond. If you want it clear faster then do as sissy suggested and take a big plastic pot w/holes in it or a milk crate or any plastic container w/holes and shove a bunch of the white quilt batting into it and run a hose from your pump over that and let the water seep out the bottom and back into pond. Something like this below only I changed my media to Matala stuff in this photo and put fiberglass screen door material to line the inside of pot w/instead as I was not trying to make it crystal clear, just trying to get more mucky stuff out. This sits on the pond edge and I use a garden hose screwed onto my pond pump that sits on the bottom or the shelf in pond. If you use the white quilt batting it will clear up better but will mean you have to clean the batting a lot more often as it plugs up pretty fast. Take the batting out and hose it off and put it back in again and again and again etc. As it gets clearer it won't clog up as fast:

IMG_8691.JPG

I had this bottom one under my waterfall w/quilt batting in it. See how the green stuff collects on the white batting?:

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Ponds are a lot of fun, but there is a learning curve Involved. I don’t think I can add to anything that’s already been said. PATIENCE is key!

Ask a Question