HELP: identify this fish please!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help identifying this fish. I am going on a limb its a cichlid??? I don't know.

My uncles suddenly came over and dumped this fish into my turtle pond without my permission last night. My mom wakes me up telling me what happen. So i immediately set up the big tank it came with and moved it in there. It is currently swimming much better and upright than sideways in my pond....
Hope the links work..

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/Crestal_Fong/Mobile Uploads/20151001_120123_zpsukpdanao.jpg

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/Crestal_Fong/Mobile Uploads/20151001_120202_zpsn8xazest.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
those are interesting fish :) i have one in my mix tank. yours doesnt look so good though :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
those are interesting fish :) i have one in my mix tank. yours doesnt look so good though :(

Yeah the fish is pretty scuffed up when i got it. Now i am trying to research whatever I can to keep it well and alive. >_<

Reaction score
One of these turned up in a small pond I have. He's quite hardy, at one point I thought a bird had gotten everything in the pond and shut it down for weeks. Once I started it back up he appeared and was bigger.

I don't know how he got in the pond, I know we have them wild in natural ponds here, maybe he was dropped by a bird ... ? I don't know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Poor little fish - looks like he's been through the wringer. What is it with people thinking they can just toss any old fish into someone else's pond? Especially one that looks unhealthy! I would be livid.

My husband kept cichlids (specifically Oscars) in aquariums when he was a teenager and one time a family friend caught a catfish in a lake and brought it to their house and dumped it in his tank without asking anyone's permission. Killed all his fish and destroyed his tank in a matter of hours. My poor husband came home to a disaster - I don't think he ever got over it. All his hard work and his own money down the drain.

UGH! Rant over!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
This spring my wife told my brother in law....'sure bring it over, we'll put it in the pond'.. No we won't, luckily I was around to prevent the addition of a full grown un-known, un-wanted fish addition. Adopting out fish isn't always easy.

Ask a Question