help identifying my fish

Reaction score
From top to bottom, I believe what you have are:
Common Goldfish
Common Goldfish
Shubunkin
Common Goldfish
Shubunkin

I thought the first two were comets, but they lack the forked tail that comets have. Shubunkins are usually calico colored (orange/back/white/yellow or gold) with speckles.
99% sure none of them are koi, as koi tend to have longer bodies, while goldfish and shubunkins are bit more round.

I could be mistaken on this, as I am by no means a fish expert.

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/common-vs-comet.115236/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shubunkin

BR,

Pete

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
1st is sarasa with shorter tail and big body gene
2nd shubunken some say comet too if same colour
3rd i cant see the tail but looks like shubunken calico (if it has double tail then its fancy)
4th sarasa shub
5th shubunken

basically all are from comets single tail , some have different scales some have unique colour some have unique tail
sarasa is a comet that has white or white orange/red , shubunken can have any colour , its trade mark is black red white but they can be all orange or all white etc too its the scale that makes them shubunken .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
My koi had them when they got to be about 6 inch's long ,that is when I notice them .They could have been there before that and I did not notice or know what they were .I knew nothing about my fish except that they were ugly fish at the koi farm and cost less than 3 dollars a piece
lol @ugly fish how are they now , usualy young koi look very ugly even the best varieties . but most of them develop well after few months , if u do alot of research and experience , u can pick very good koi from random average looking fry . i think ur koi is sanke has some tanchu touch
most of the koi 98% have whiskers but the butterfly koi has exaggerated longer ones the one addy posted pic

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They all turned out to have fancy flowing tails and seems when I get babies every one here wants them .I have a list of people

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The whiskers are actually barbels and koi have two sets. Goldfish only have one set. They are actually taste sensors to help identify food when scavenging on the bottom. The classification of goldfish and koi is separated by the presence of the number of barbels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A goldfish's scientific classification details one set of barbels as opposed to a carp's two.

Can you share a source? Everything I find says exactly the opposite.

"Koi have barbels around their mouths and chins, feelers that resemble whiskers, while goldfish have no barbels."

"Although both goldfish and koi are descended from the crucian carp, koi have feeler barbels and generally grow longer than goldfish. Goldfish have bigger fins and a more compressed body shape, while koi are longer and more cylindrical in shape and proportion."

"Goldfish tend to be more rounded with a blunt nose and do not have barbells."

"A distinguishing feature of koi are their barbels, a whisker-like organ on each side of the mouth."

That's four different sources after just a quick google search of "do goldfish have barbels".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yes Goldfish dont have barbels , their nostrils some times looks like one

Ask a Question