help my fish are dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have done a water change on friday I drained it and added the declorinator and m icroblift ph and rinsed everything off before putting the pond back together again. I also treated it with broad spectrum and did the 25% water change twice. This morning they seemed fine but I also thought that before and then I lost a couple more. So I have to see when I get home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Do you know if another fountain would help?? More circulation? ? Thanks for the suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you describe anything you see wrong with the fish prior to them dying it may be there gills have a build up of mucus theres a white sheen to them anything out of the ordinary .
Does it seem they are hanging near the airstones head down ?
Reddenig of their finnage anything that may indicate this was a parasite ?
Can you also tell me the last time you cleaned the leaves and detritus from the bottom of your pond or cleaned your filters ?
Anything out of the ordinary that has happened of late in your area .?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I don't see anything. I even took them to the pond store where I purchase everything and they saw nothing. They really don't seem sick and then all of a sudden something happens to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also they don't seem to be hovering around the air heads from what I see and I really have been checking the pond often.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It never hursts to add more air, and a "fountain" might help. I'm not a chemist, but if it is something that's gotten into the water, maybe it's something that will disipate if it's exposed to more air.

Have you talked to anyone other than the store person regarding the possibility of sprayed chemicals [or something similar] getting into their ponds? Maybe do a little sleuthing, talk to a local TV or newspaper and see if they know anything or would be willing to make an announcement for people having similar die-offs to contact them...... If it is something like that, it seems that until you find out WHAT it is, you're likely to continue having problems -- unless it was a one-time deal.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Without knowing exactly what type of chemical toxin may be the cause, it is not possible to determine the actual biological damage that has been done.
Since it has been eleven (11) days since the first fish mortality, it is likely that all damage that could be done has been done. At this point, it is not likely that any remedial action (if any exists) would have a noticeable effect.
Some chemicals disassociate quite rapidly, others are more stable. All have an affinity of binding with organic matter. If indeed this was of chemical origin, the fish have already absorbed certain levels, so any damage done was and is internal. There are no remedies that purge chemical toxins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
M'mmm this has got me thinking , where have I heard of something simmilar in my years of keeping koi .
Let me get back to you .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have another question I added some pond salt after I did the water change. I was told to add 4 cups gradually and I added 2 should I add the other 2cups and should it be slowly or can I add it at once? Right now my fish seem to be ok. So I was wondering if I should put that in now? Or wait awhile longer?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have another question I added some pond salt after I did the water change. I was told to add 4 cups gradually and I added 2 should I add the other 2cups and should it be slowly or can I add it at once? Right now my fish seem to be ok. So I was wondering if I should put that in now? Or wait awhile longer?
Adding salt at this point serves no useful purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa slow down once you commit to using salt then you cannot use Formalin if your Ph is 8.5 as it can become toxic and kill of your fish .
Also you should never add salt to a pond by the cup full in its raw neat form like you have been told to, you must never do that .
Besides Cinder you should think in far greater qauntities, buy a new 2 gallon bucket add three or four cups of salt to the bucket then add boiling water [which disolves the crystals], repeat the process to the exact gallonage , if your pond is quite large gallonage wise then thats alot of salt cinder , ours at 1,000 gallons UK imperial measure equates to 25lb of salt to be disolved and added to the pond . .
You also have to remember this that once the salt is in your water it stays there until after many water changes it disapears out of your ponds system .
Think do you really need to do this with salt or can you use a mixture of chemicals instead ???.......

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am perplexed as to why anything is being added. You don't treat an unknown malady by randomly tossing the entire medicine chest at it.
Agreed but at levels that wouldnt have done anything just a few cups as the OP says

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all your comments and help I was asking because I didn't know. I have 5 fish left and they seem fine now. This morning I saw all of them and they were swimming chasing each other! I want to make sure the pond has the necessary stuff to make it safe for them. Like I said not sure how soon to add stuff because I drained the pond completely. Thanks again for info I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good evening all I have another question if you can help me I added the microblift ph when I did a water change last friday should I add the amount specified on the box tonight or is it better to add in the morning, or does it matter when? The weather here is in the high 90's and although I know it's suppose to be good for the pond I don't want to stress the fish anymore they they already are! They seem to be doing ok now. I'm just looking for a little help. Thanks to everyone that had been answering my posts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I normally add Microbe_lift PL to our filters arfter maintenance and thats good stuffcinder however weve not not used the Ph.I always tend to follow their instructions of use to the very letter though as I believe its an important thing too do .........
I always add anything to he pond during daylight hours , dont ever attempt to cut any corners .
As a matter of interest cinder what are your water perameters at this present time and what test kit are you using drop or stick ?

Dave

Ask a Question