help my fish are dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Omg i'm sorry i can't believe I didn't catch the typo but i also add the microbe lift pl .. I'm using test strips but i have taken samples of the water to 2 different stores . 1 used the same as me , even the same brand of test strips. The other pet store used a different brand of strips but also tested for ammonia by using a tube and added some drops to it. But it tested good. So i will add the microbe lift ph in the morning. Even though i've had my pond for awhile i'm still new to alot of this stuff i never lost any fish since i've had them for 4 years. And i really appreciate all your help. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Test strips are not as accurate as the drop test kit cinder drop test are far more accurate and give you a greater peace of mind .
As to the microbe_lift PL filter pad innoculant gel I hope you did things by the letter when using it
a) Did you leave it open to the air for an hour prior to immersing the pads back in water
b) Did you then leave it standing in water for a half hour before switching your filters on again
These steps where vitally important to the process of impregnating your filters with live bacteria

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Dave I am using the microblift pl liquid. But I added the appropriate amount this morning and the remaining fish are doing fine. I think they were looking for food and i've been feeding them but smaller amounts. How much should i feed them now? Didn't want to over feed them, because of what they've been thru. Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave I am using the microblift pl liquid. But I added the appropriate amount this morning and the remaining fish are doing fine. I think they were looking for food and i've been feeding them but smaller amounts. How much should i feed them now? Didn't want to over feed them, because of what they've been thru. Thanks for all your help.
Cinder the usual rule we stick by is as much as they can eat in five minutes spread over the day i;e once in morning once in afternoon and lastly in the evening [some feed more times daily we dont, as its always better to underfeed than over feed them .
Did you stick to the instructions and drain and clean the filter then spread the gel over the pad leaving it open to the air for a good hour then stand it in water for a further half an hour ???

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's exactly right. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I never used the stuff for the filter, should I be using that also? And can it be used with the liquid? So far my fish seem to be healthy now. Swimming and tugging on the plants and eating when I feed them so hopefully no more incidences. But I am a little worried with the hof weather about the algae. I don't really use algecide and I know with the hot weather not to and especially since i've had all these problems now. What's the best way to treat it now. Here is a picture of what I have
1437314776645.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you don't treat it with the bacterial treatment how do you con trail the algae and keep the water clean and healthy??

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The best that any bacteria can do is compete with the algae for the organic Carbon in the water. Bacteria have never been. nor will they ever be, an effective algae control. The best control is limiting the amount of organic matter that enters your pond from exterior sources, such as leaf drop, fish food, animal feces, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So in your opinion then I wouldn't really need the gel since I already put the liquid in ? I guess i'm not an expert and I have only had the fish for 3 or 4 years before that I just had water in the pond no aquatic life. So since I lost the fish i'm trying to learn m ok re so I don't have this problem again. Or to notice something maybe sooner so I don't have such a large loss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So in your opinion then I wouldn't really need the gel since I already put the liquid in ? I guess i'm not an expert and I have only had the fish for 3 or 4 years before that I just had water in the pond no aquatic life. So since I lost the fish i'm trying to learn m ok re so I don't have this problem again. Or to notice something maybe sooner so I don't have such a large loss
The gel is needed by you to help mature your filters by adding bacteria into your filter where it can then stick because its in gel form cinder,then it can then colonize them to give you heathy and mature pond .
Once matured the bacteria in the filters help break down organic matter and fish waste that finds its way into your filter drawn in by the constant movement of water through the filter/material to be returned to the pond crystal clear

Dave

Ask a Question