HELP - new pond with koi now floating on sides or head up when not swimming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Steve-H I realize my post may have sounded rather harsh - that was not my intent. We just hear so many times about people getting terrible pond advice from various sources. It's sad to see someone start out on the wrong foot.

We are here to help - please don't be put off by Mrs. Crabbypants who showed up in that first post!
Hey I'm the first post. I let some of the minute femine side show occasionally but to call me MRs is pushing it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all, I’ve read all your advice so far and very much appreciate your help.

My plan now is:
- change 20% of the water first thing tomorrow and again each day until I am sure the nitrite/nitrate levels are correct.
- Pond Prime is being delivered tomorrow so will read instructions and apply
- API 500 test kit will be delivered on Sunday so I can actually understand the levels and try and sort them

Hopefully I can save some of them.

It seems the nitrate cycle using sacrificial fish is what I’m now doing without intending it. Not really the way I like to do things, I’m the sort of person that lets insects out of the house instead of killing them :(

Really annoyed with the guy that sold me these fish (and provided the pond advice) but accept I should have researched more, just got over excited!

I will post updates as things progress.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have no monetary gain here we get nothing from you the sales guy is just that he is there to sell more stuff.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Get a liquid test kit. It sounds like your pond had not cycled enough. Ie it is to new for that fish load.

Missed all the other posts, great advice from all!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Salt will do nothing for the fish, I would stop taking advice from the guy you bought koi from, he sold you all those koi, when you have a new pond. As was mentioned your pond has not cycled (you have no bacteria pop. To deal with the fish waste) and you added way too many fish at once, most likely ammonia poisoning. Get some prime to bind the ammonia, and I would take some/all of those fish back. Adding all that stuff to the pond does pretty much nothing for the cycling of the pond, that process can take a month or more after you add an ammonia source to start it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks very much.

My Koi man is history!

Prime should arrive tomorrow. I’ve managed to drain off 20% of the water tonight and slowly refilling. The fish are mostly staying around the fresh intake through the dechlorinater so I think that means they prefer the fresh water and the pond is pretty toxic.

I appear to have two posts on this same issue. If an admin wants to merge please do so. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE AND QUESTION:

I added Pond Prime yesterday afternoon without yet doing a liquid test as it had not arrived. Today the API test kit arrived and is showing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate very low or 0ppm. It did however show PH as 9 which is top of the scale for alkalinity.

I have just ordered some PH down but it won’t arrive until Tuesday. My question is, should I do another 20% water change now to bring PH down?

I will test every day as I believe the Pond Prime is a short term fix for ammonia and nitrite so this may come up assuming that was the original issue.

All fish are still with me and seem more active but some are still floating/resting on sides at times or resting on the bottom (do healthy Kio rest on the bottom too?).

I am only feeding a very small amount once a day.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd also go to the locL pet store and buy a test kit. If your ammonia is that high and pH low kh low you may not have too much time to correct

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please don't try to adjust the pH. It's fine at 9. That's not a problem. If you lower it, it will just jump back up and those changes will be even more stress for your fish.

Have you tested you tap water?

Also, get a test for KH. It will measure the amount of alkalinity and let you know if the pH will be steady, or make large swings.

Ask a Question