sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't see cooking salt here only sea salt and regular iodized and kosher salt and rock salt and water softner salt .I guess maybe you could find it but not around here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see cooking salt here only sea salt and regular iodized and kosher salt and rock salt and water softner salt .I guess maybe you could find it but not around here
Could be under a different name in the US sissy , however you can buy it in super markets in 1kg and 3kg packs , one should never use table salt .
I keep a container with about 20 - 25kg in for use should I need it at all .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure why most folks go right to water test when fish do nothing. If it's hot fish are inactive. I wouldn't take him out unless he's on his side or having trouble staying down. We'll never strike a balance with nature if we keep fussing over chemical treatment and water test.
Test my waters once a week if things look good. I Do a 25% once a week and add conditioner. I read where people become obsessed with their ponds and fish. I was becoming obcessed as well. I keep a watch but I don't test every day. I do turn the pumps off so I can take a close look about twice a week, that's my regiment, orherwise I don't intervine much

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought salt from webbs 10lbs for 5.99 just in case it was on sale with free shipping

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Rich17 your koi has a bad case of cotton wool fungus which you should treat immediately , the fungus is a secondary problem that has been allowed in because somethinghas damaged the protective mucus all fish have either by bad netting techniques or damage through jumping poorly maintained ponds and or filters spawning or poor diet parasitic infections and bacterial infections .
I would however suggest before treating this koi you must first identify that which has allowed the fungus to become a problem otherwise your peeing against the wind in treating the fungus outbreak.
Small areas of infection can be treated in the pond but large areas such as we see on this koi should be seperated off to a Quarantine tank before treatment.
The best way to treat these infections is by one of the many fungal remidies out there on the market which have differing levels of success the best way however is to topically treat the koi by first sedating it then with a cotton bug remove the fungus with a cooton wool bud then malachite green should be applied to the area before spraying the area with propolis .
However seeing as the infection is around the gill area care should be taken when applying the malachite green lest it do damage to the fishes gills.
Remember in future that prevention by keeping a clean system water filters etc , plus obeying the QT rules is the best way not to get fungal infections in the first place

Dave
Hi i treated this 2 years ago and the marks never went when water is warm they fade a bit but when cold they can look bad but has not effected it till just recently were it is doing as i have described it is still swimming and eating so not got a clue thank you all for help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i treated this 2 years ago and the marks never went when water is warm they fade a bit but when cold they can look bad but has not effected it till just recently were it is doing as i have described it is still swimming and eating so not got a clue thank you all for help
@Rich17 if its effected by the cold and disapears slighly in the summer then this may well not be cotton wool fungus at all.....
Instead it is possibly the worst case of koi pox I have ever seen in my 30 years of keeping koi [it is also known as fish pox].
There is no cure, howver it is in the koi to rid iotself of the pox over time but in some cases it doesnt , Koi pox isnt infectious as such it may only effect one koi in your pond and no more its a form of herpes virus .
Normally it takes about 4 years to disapear if at all , question how warm does your pond get in summer ?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Test my waters once a week if things look good. I Do a 25% once a week and add conditioner

We don't test our water at all and never do water changes - so I guess "intervention" means different things to different people!

Did I miss the part about what this fish is actually doing? I think we got off on a tangent about its appearance when the concern was about how it was acting. Going back to re-read...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We don't test our water at all and never do water changes - so I guess "intervention" means different things to different people!
I don't either. Tested when I first set it up, then got bored with testing, the tests never changed. Water changes come with rain.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Rich17 if its effected by the cold and disapears slighly in the summer then this may well not be cotton wool fungus at all.....
Instead it is possibly the worst case of koi pox I have ever seen in my 30 years of keeping koi [it is also known as fish pox].
There is no cure, howver it is in the koi to rid iotself of the pox over time but in some cases it doesnt , Koi pox isnt infectious as such it may only effect one koi in your pond and no more its a form of herpes virus .
Normally it takes about 4 years to disapear if at all , question how warm does your pond get in summer ?

Dave
At the moment the temp is 19c in middle of summer pond can reach around 26c

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the temp is 19c in middle of summer pond can reach around 26c
If it is the worst case of koi pox ever @Rich17 then at 26c you should see a marked difference in the growth you see however what worries me is this is too near the koi's gill casings we did have a case of a friends koi where it took over the insides of his koi's mouth and throat area in the end the koi sadly died .
What was the origina ldamage to this koi please ?

Dave

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He has never really changed i agree this is the worst hes been he is eating and swimming it is not very good wheather here in uk at the min

How do you mean what was original damage sorry if that sounds daft but i just finished a niggt shift sory

Ask a Question